"A trip between Iceberg" Top 5 Page for this destination Höfn by Cristian_Uluru
Höfn Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 145 photos
This small city is in a long strip of land in the Hornafjordur Lagoon. It's economy is base on fishing and its working. This city is a point of starting to visit the beautiful area of Vatnajokull with Jokulsarlon and Skaftafell National Park.
The Skaftafell National Park is the biggest park of Iceland. In this national park you can go near a glacier as tou can't do in other place, to see a wonderful vegetation, river and waterfalls.
Skaftafell was originally a big farm situated near the present camping area. Then people built other 3 farms in XV century.
The district, call Herad Milli Sandur (Land between sands) became Land under Sands when in 1362 a vulcano call Orofi erupted and it destroyed the farms. But then the farms was build again in the same place of the old one. In 1967 the Icelandic Government and th World Wildlife Found for Nature created a Natural Park in the area between Skeidararjokull and Skaftafellsfjoll. In June 1984 the 20 % of Vatnajokull Glacier was integrate in the National Park.
Jokulsarlon is maybe one of the wonderful of Iceland. This big Laguna is made by Breidamerkurjokull Glacier, the only Iceland Glacier on the sea. It is fantastic and you can also to have a journey with a boat in this laguna with Blue Iceberg and very cool water!!!!!
- In a nutshell:Wonderful Place!
The best way to explore Hofn region is by car. You can stop where do you want and to explore a lot of glacier that in a... more travel advice
Hoffellsjokull Glacier is situate about 20 Km north of Hofn. It is a tongue of Vatnajokull Glacier. Is possible to go... more travel advice
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Höfn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A trip between Iceberg"
- "Sharrie's Hofn Bond-age"
- "The Smelly Fishing Village !"
- "Hofn Glacier Adventure"
- " Jökulsárlón & Höfn Area "
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Höfn
- 11 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Höfn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Höfn
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues