"Myvatn: the meeting between water and fire." Top 5 Page for this destination Mÿvatn by Cristian_Uluru
Mÿvatn Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 373 photos
In 1974 Myvatn became a National Reserve of Myvatn-Laxà with the pseudocrater of Skutustadir, in the south area of the lake that became national monument. Myvatn is situate on the Middle Atlantic Ridge. Everything that you can see is made by vulcanic formation or geothermical activity, but probably the most visiting is the Myvatn lake that it is situate in a area of 37 Km2 and it is only 2.5 meters deep. The lake is nearly divide in two by the Neslandatangi Peninsula, that separate the Ytrifloi (External Gulf) from the wide Sydriflòi (Southern Gulf). In the lake there are more than 50 islands and more of them are pseudocraters originated by gas explosions from the passage of the spindle lava into the water.
Myvatn is the dryest place of Iceland thanks to Vatnajokull Glacier.
At the end of the last glacial era, 10000 years ago, Myvatn was covered by ice. The vulcanic eruptions under the ice created some mòberg picks in the south of the lake. Near the present town of Reykjahlid glacial spurs rose frontal moraines and a lot of them was then covered by lava. One of this moraine created the Myvatn lake. When the ice was loose also the lake loosed. 25 Km east of Myvatn some eruption create the Ketildyngja vulcano and the lava that this vulcano erupted went untill the sea and it created a new Myvatn lake. In the next years on the oriental coast borned a lot of craters and the lava that flown from these craters created the present Myvatn lake. Between 1724 and 1729 started in Krafla the eruption of Myvatnseldar (Fire of Myvatn). From this fissure flown out the lava in 1984.
Krafla is situate 7 km north to Ring Road. The Krafla is the name of the mountain 818 meters high but now the name is use to call all the vulcanic region where is situate. There is a geothermal power station and the most nice lavic field of Iceland.
Krafla is not a conic vulcano but a series of splits that go from north to south and under them there is the lava. In the vulcanic activity there is a blow of the land and then some eruptions. More informations on the recent eruptions on the web
The best way to explore Myvatn is by own car so you can stop where you want and stay all the time you need. There are... more travel advice
Skutustadagigar are pseudocraters on the south coast of Icaland, near Skutustadir. This craters, around the small lake... more travel advice
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Mÿvatn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MÝVATN - AREA."
- "Myvatn: the meeting between water and fire."
- "Mývatn - Literally a hotspot"
- "Jumping Around Myvatn!"
- "Námafjall - boiling mud pools - more photos."
- "stunning and breathtaking!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mÿvatn
- Hotels in Mÿvatn
- Transportation in Mÿvatn
- Restaurants in Mÿvatn
- Warnings and Dangers in Mÿvatn
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mÿvatn
- 17 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Mÿvatn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mÿvatn
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues