"The fantastic Art Nouveau town" Top 5 Page for this destination Ålesund by Cristian_Uluru
Ålesund Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 576 photos
The fanstastic town of Alesund is located in the More og Romsdal Region. It is a sea port, 236 km north northeast of Bergen, and is noted for its unique concentration of Jugendstil or Art Nouveau architecture. It occupies seven of the outer islands of the west coast, Hessa, Aspoy and Norvoy,Yksnoy, Ellingsoy, Humla and Torla which enclose the wonderuful town.
Legend has it that Gangerolf, outside of Norway better known as Rollo, the 10th century founder of the dynasty of the dukes of Normandy, comes from the community of Giske. In the night of January 23, 1904, the city was the scene of the Alesund Fire, one of the most terrible fire to which Norwegian towns, once built largely of wood, have been subjected. The whole town was destroyed and the population had to leave the place in the middle of the night with only a few minutes' notice.
Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany had often vacationed in Sunnmore. After the fire, the Kaiser sent 4 ships with material to aid in the reconstruction. The town was rebuilt in the Jugendstil architectural style (the German version of Art Noveau) with turrets, spires, and ornamentation. The structures were designed by Norwegian architects educated in Trondheim, drawing inspiration from various styles throughout Europe.The style was at its peak in Europe in 1900 and visitors can enjoy an unusually consistent architectural style.
Alesund is a modern with a varied cultural scene and exciting cafes and restaurants.
Welcome to Alesund!!!
On the island of Sandsoy there is the Dollsteinhola Cave. You can reach it by the main road, but following a gravel road... more travel advice
The villagge of Alnes is very nice!! Here you can see some old wooden buildings in the wharf and the beautiful Alness... more travel advice
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Ålesund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The fantastic Art Nouveau town"
- "Ålesund, a beautiful town with a dramatic history"
- "Alesund & Sunnmore"
- "Ålesund - Fjords and Jugendstil"
- "Porteplume's new Ålesund Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ålesund
- Hotels in Ålesund
- Transportation in Ålesund
- Nightlife in Ålesund
- Restaurants in Ålesund
- Shopping in Ålesund
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ålesund
- 24 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (91)
Have you been to Ålesund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ålesund
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues