"The Fjord' Capital City" Top 5 Page for this destination Bergen by Cristian_Uluru
Bergen Travel Guide: 945 reviews and 2,380 photos
Welcome to the wondeful Bergen, as knows as the capital of the fjords. It is the second biggest town of Norway and probably the most know town in the world after Oslo!!
Bergen is a fantastic town, and a great place where to spend some days!!! In Bergen there are some very interesting museum and a lot of old buildings like the Bryggen that is a World Heritage Monument!!!
Bergen is the rainest town of Norway with more than 200 rainy days in a year, it offers you a great wiev when the sun appear.
Bergen is the perfect place where to start to discover the Sognefjord and the other fantastic Norwegian fjords!!!
Enjoy your trip to Bergen!!
About 1070 King Olav Kyrre granted municipal status to Bjorgvin, then a port settlement of some importance on the east side of the Bergen peninsula. The town developed rapidly as an occasional royal residence. In 1233, Hàkon Hàkonsson's hereditary right to the throne was recognized at a general assembly held here, and by 1240 Bergen was formally declared the capital of Norway in place of Trondheim. As early as 1236 there were permanent German trading establishments in Bergen, but the town's rise to prosperity began with the establishment of a "counting house" of the Hanseatic League in 1343. By virtue of the privilege granted by the Danish kings, the German merchants quickly gained control of the entire Norwegian trade. The Hanseatic employees lived in a special quarter of town called German warf). In 1599 the power of the Hanseatic League was broken by the feudal lord Kristofer Walckendorf, but the counting house remained in existence for another 200 years, By 1630, the power of the Hanseatic League was completely broken and in 1764, the last stue was sold to a Norwegian business. Life in Bergen was centered around fishing and shipping up until the present time when, during the 1980's, oil was discovered off the North Sea. Thus, with this discovery, Bergen entered an age of new prosperity and industry.
The nice town of Voss is famous for its fantastic landscape and for its Winter games. Very nice is the Vangskyrkya and... more travel advice
Another good restaurant in Bergen with international cousine! more travel advice
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Bergen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bergen - The city between the seven mountains"
- "The sunshine city of blue sky, blue sea, blue eyes"
- "Bergen in Norway"
- "The Fjord' Capital City"
- "City of rain and some nice benches"
- "Welcome to the land of the Vikings!"
- "Bergen in Fall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bergen
- Hotels in Bergen
- Transportation in Bergen
- Nightlife in Bergen
- Restaurants in Bergen
- Shopping in Bergen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bergen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bergen
- 43 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Bergen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bergen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues