"Wadi Rum: the fantastic Jordan desert" Top 5 Page for this destination Wadi Rum by Cristian_Uluru
Wadi Rum Travel Guide: 243 reviews and 576 photos
The wonderful desert of Wadi Rum is a MUST. It's famous thanks T.E.Lawrence and his book (The Seven Pillars of Wisdom) but also for its magnificent landscape . To make a journey at Wadi Rum, I think, it's a great experience. You can see a desert that is very different from the United Arab Emiratas or Arabian one. Infact here you can find mountains (and some of them are very high (Gebel Rum (1754 m) and Gebel Ishrin (1753 m)) and all around them the desert with the sand with different kind of yellow and red.
The best way to explore this fantastic place is to rent a car with a beduin driver. It's a great experiece because you can see many hidden place and strange rocky formations that you can't imagine.
Wadi Rum is a great experience!!!
If you want to visit this great place you need at least one day so you can see all the best of this desert (first of all the wonderful landscape, Lowrence Spring, Al-Qsair, Rakahbt al-Wadak and more).
From this point of view I was very unlucky during my journey because the weather was bad and I had only half a day :(.
You must notice that if you want to go to Wadi Rum during the winter season you can find bad weter and it's very cold (when I was there I need to wear a windcheater due the heavy cold wind that blew that day). If you go, instead, during the summer season you must have, first of all, a lot of water because it's too hot (40°C), and also a hat and a pair of sunglasses!!!!
By the way, I think that Wadi Rum is fantastic also with bad weather becuse there is a different light and something of special.
The journey in the beduins' car is make with very very old car but it's a very great experience and you must try it.
My tourist guide said me that is possible to sleep in a beduin tend under the star...I think that it's a great experience that I hope I'll can do the next time I'll go there!!!
Wadi Rum was create by a geological fracture on the earthly crust and some high block of rocks fell down from the Afro-Arabic clod. The blocks gave origin to the fantastic mountains of Wadi Rum. This area was inhabited from Neolitic when it was call Wadi Iram. There are many inscriptions that show that Wadi Rum was very close by Nabataeans and by people that came from the Arabic Peninsula. Probably many caravans passed through the desert thank the many springs.
Today the village of Rum is the home of all the Beduins drivers and it's the gate to start your journey in the desert.
Enjoy yourself in this marvel place!!!!
- In a nutshell:You must see it!!!
If you are lucky in Wadi Rum you can see many camels riding. It is a great fantastic experience to see these animals... more travel advice
One of the most exciting way to explore Wadi Rum is by camel. It's a great experience and in this way is possible to... more travel advice
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Wadi Rum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wadi Rum is beautiful!"
- "Wadi Rum - the Red Desert."
- "Wadi Rum: the fantastic Jordan desert"
- "Wadi Rum"
- "Magical Wadi Rum"
- "Wadi Rum"
- "Our First Desert Experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wadi Rum
- Hotels in Wadi Rum
- Transportation in Wadi Rum
- Nightlife in Wadi Rum
- Restaurants in Wadi Rum
- Shopping in Wadi Rum
- Warnings and Dangers in Wadi Rum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wadi Rum
- 15 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Wadi Rum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wadi Rum
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues