"Volterra: The Etruscan Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra by Cristian_Uluru
Volterra Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 473 photos
It is located between the rivers Bra and Cecina, and is surrounded by strong walls. The district is rich in alabaster, the working of which was an important industry of the city.
Volterra is famous thanks its wonderful palaces and architecture but, also, for its Etruscan history. The town was called Felathri by the Etruscans and following Volaterrae by the Romans. From the period of the kings, it was at war with Rome untill 298 B.C., when Scipio gained a victory here over the Etruscan armies. Remains of the ancient surrounding walls, including the Etruscan Porta dell' Arco, the baths and the amphitheatre.
Enjoy your visit!!!
The Museum of Art (Pinacoteca) is located in a nice Renaissance palace: Palazzo Minucci Solaini. Inside the museum you... more travel advice
Via dei Sarti is a medieval street with nice Renaissance palaces. There you can see a small house-tower called dello... more travel advice
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Volterra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Etruscans rule!"
- "Bogu iza nogu"
- "Volterra: The Etruscan Town"
- "Etruscan delights"
- "Remembering 30 years ago!"
- "Beauty of old villaggio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Volterra
- Hotels in Volterra
- Transportation in Volterra
- Nightlife in Volterra
- Restaurants in Volterra
- Shopping in Volterra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Volterra
- 28 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Volterra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Volterra
Photos in VolterraSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues