"Petra: a wonderful town" Top 5 Page for this destination Petra by Cristian_Uluru
Petra Travel Guide: 993 reviews and 2,608 photos
Petra is also knows as the Pink Town thanks the fantastic colors of the rock. It's a fantastic experience to walk across the Siq and to see above you cliff 100 meters high. Another great experience is to see Al-Khazneh and Royal Tombs....it's fantastic to see these tombs build in the rock. They are very very big and pictures can't give the real size of these monuments. To walk in Petra it is a unique experience that it's very difficult to describe and pictures can only give you an idea of what really is this great fantastic town build inside mountains!!!!
You can spend in Petra at least one day and you can see only the MUST of Petra (Siq, Al-Khazneh, the Royal Tombs and Romans ruins) and also Al-Deir. If you can visit Petra in two or more days you can see much more (like the Snake Tomb and more) and much better all the wonderful of the town!!!!!!
PETRA: a fantastic moment of life!!!
Petra was first established by Edomites, a group of people that lived in the area between Aqaba Gulf and Dead Sea in the 13th century BC and they didn't allow to Israeli people to reach the Holy Land. When David became king, Israeli took this land. But when King Salomon died, Edomites took indipendence and the King of the Kingdom of Jude took the city of Sela and from this city probably become the name of Petra because in Greek it mean rock . At the begining of 6th century BC, the Nabataean Arabs, a nomadic tribe who settled in the area and they defeted the Edomites and they laid the foundations of a commercial empire that extended into Syria. Despite successive attempts by the Seleucid king Antigonus, the Roman emperor Pompey and Herod the Great to bring Petra under the control of their respective empires, Petra remained largely in Nabataean hands until around 100AD, when the Romans took over and with emperor Adrian the city was call Hadriana Petra. It was still inhabited during the Byzantine period, when the former Roman empire moved its focus east to Constantinople, but declined in importance thereafter. The Crusaders constructed two forts there in the 12th century, but soon withdrew, leaving Petra to the local people until the 1812, when it was discovered by the Swiss explorer Johann Ludwig Burckhardt.
When you finish to visit and to discover all the wonders of Petra and you have got time, the best way to spend this time is to visit Al-Beid, it is also call Little Petra. This city is smaller than Petra but it's very nice. You can enjoy walking inside the small Siq and discover Nabataean houses and wonderful landscape. Just few meter far from the Siq of Little Petra there are the ruins of a Neolitic Village (9000 BC) call Al-Beidha.
Enjoy yourself walking in the eighth wonder of the world!!!!
If you have any trouble to walk from the entrance od Petro to the Treasury you can rent this carriage. They are very... more travel advice
Water is very important durinf your visit in Petra when the sun shine. In a day trip you can do more than 5 km by foot... more travel advice
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Petra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petra : the city of the caravans"
- "Petra: a wonderful town"
- "A love story with Petra"
- "The Nabataean City"
- "Petra - a highlight of Jordan"
- "Just one (almost) perfect day.........."
- "Beatiful stones"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petra
- Hotels in Petra
- Transportation in Petra
- Nightlife in Petra
- Restaurants in Petra
- Shopping in Petra
- Warnings and Dangers in Petra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petra
- 58 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Petra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues