"Qasr al-Kharanah: a castle in the desert" Qasr al Kharanah by Cristian_Uluru
Qasr al Kharanah Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 73 photos
The Desert Castles are a perfect daily trip from Amman. They are very nice and they rappresent one of the best off the beaten path of the Jordan.
Following the road 48 from Amman, after about 100 kilometres, you can find the first Desert Castle: Qasr al-Kharanah.
As you can see it is located in the middle of the desert and it seem a fortress. It has got very small windows and it was built far from the Commercial Road of the time and there wasn't water spring near it!! For these reasons historians think that it was a meeting place between the beduins and Omayyadi kings.
There are still many debate about which was the original function of the building. The most widely accepted opinion... more travel advice
The courtyard had a basin for collecting rain water at its centre. Originally it was surrounded by a portico supported... more travel advice
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Qasr al Kharanah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Qasr al-Kharanah: a castle in the desert"
- "Desert Castle"
- "QASR AL KHARANAH"
- "A great Desert Castle"
- "Qasr al Kharanah"
- "Qasr Al Kharraneh"
- "QASR AL KHARANAH"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qasr al Kharanah
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Qasr al Kharanah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qasr al Kharanah
Photos in Qasr al KharanahSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues