Würzburg Things to Do Tips by Cristian_Uluru Top 5 Page for this destination
Würzburg Things to Do: 215 reviews and 451 photos
The rose garden is located behid the fortress. From the terrace you can have a wonderful view over the town.
Furstenbau Museum is located in the residential apartments of the fortress. Here you can see liturgical and of common use objects that reconstruct the history of the town. There you can see a great plastic of the city that shows as it was after the end of the second world war.
Marienberg: the main courtyard
After the Mainfrankisches Museum you arrive in a very big courtyard where you can see a fantastic gateway built in 1482. Crossing this gateway you arrive to the internal courtyard. There you can see the Vorburg, the residential palace, built between the 16th and the 17th century. In the middle of the court there is a big tower and the nice Marienkapelle: it is a circular church of frank epoch with a nice Renaissance door and a Baroque interior.
Mainfrankisches Museum is located in the west side of the bastions of the fortress. In this interesting museum you can see wonderful paintings made by Tilman Riemenschneider and G.B.Tiepolo, fantastic sculptures made by Peter Wagner, and medieval graves.
The wonderful castle of Marienberg was the home of the bishop-princes von Schonborn before the construction of the Residenz. The fortress has mighty bastions to stellar plant ,internal walls and 11 towers built among 1650 and 1710 on project of the ticinese Domenico Fontana.
The nice Alte Mainbrucke crosses the Main River and it is very similar to the Charles Bridge of Prague. It was built in the 12th century with 23 arcades and restored after the flood of 1473. In 1720 were added 12 stautes of saints. Walking the bridge is very nice: you can see the Marienberg and to discover the operation of one of the dams of the Main river and listen some music of street artists.
Address: Alte Mainbrucke
The baroque facade of this church is very beautiful; it was made between 1711 and 1719 by Johann Dientzenhofer replacing the Romanesque west choir of the church (13th century). The church has been built on the place of the martyrdom of the Irish saints Kilian, Kolonat and Totnan.
The interior of the church has got three naves with the main altar made by the Zimmermann's borthers.
The Markt is the main square of Wurzburg. During the Second War World all the half-timbered houses on its sides were destroyed. Nowday you can see modern houses and the fantastic Marienkapelle.
The white and red Gothic Marienkapelle was built among 1377 and 1479. Its tower bell survive to the bombardaments in 1945 and the church was very damaged. It was restored and rebuilt in the following years. On the facade you can see three nice gateways with statues and reliefs. The interior of the church is very nice: there you can see many graves among which the most interesting is the one of Konrad von Schaumberg (1499) and the one of Balthasar Neumann. In the central nave you can see a wonderful wooden statue of the Mary made in 1442.
Haus Zum Falken
Haus Zum Falken is a wonderful baroque palace with plasters and decorations on the facade. Nowday it is the home of the tourist information centre.
More Reviews (8)
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Würzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Würzburg: the home of Tiepolo's masterpieces"
- "Würzburg: Bishops, Professors and Bocksbeutel"
- "Opera and cycling in Würzburg"
- "Wurzburg and it's magnificent Residence"
- "The Head of the Romantique Strasse"
- "Wuerzburg for wine........"
- "Würzburg: the playground of the Prince-Bishops"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Würzburg
- Hotels in Würzburg
- Transportation in Würzburg
- Nightlife in Würzburg
- Restaurants in Würzburg
- Shopping in Würzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Würzburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Provincia de Valverde Hotels
- Killarney Hotels
- Santa Marta Hotels
- San Benedetto in Alpe Hotels
- Corvara in Badia
- Cadlao Island
Badges & Stats in Würzburg
- 37 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Würzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Würzburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (98)
Latest Würzburg hotel reviews
- Dorint Wuerzburg Hotel
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Schloss Steinburg Hotel
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Maritim Hotel Wurzburg
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel Wurzburger Hof
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Barbarossa Garni Hotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Urlaub
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Post Wurzburg Hotel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Regina Hotel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013
- Best Western Premier Hotel Rebstock
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 6, 2013
- St. Josef
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2010
- Hotel und Restaurant Goldenes Fass
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2010