"Würzburg: the home of Tiepolo's masterpieces" Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg by Cristian_Uluru
Würzburg Travel Guide: 384 reviews and 1,277 photos
The town settled around the Castellum Virteburch in the 5th century. On 9th June 1156 Frederick I Barbarossa married Beatrice of Burgundy in Wurzburg. The town was destroyed during the 30 Years War. Under the reign of the bishops-princes Schonborn (1642-1746) the town reached the maximum shine and became one of the best Baroque towns in Germany. During the Second World War the bombardments (16 march 1945) destroyed the 90% of the town turning it into a hill of rubble. But as a phoenix the city is risen and in 1970 it was completely reconstructed.
The masterpiece of Wurzburg is the wonderful Residenz where you can see two importants frescos made by G.B.Tiepolo, works made by Bossi, and the rooms reconstructed after the devastation of the war.
But in the town you must see also the Marienbur, the Alte Mainbrucke, the Dom, the Stift Haug and much more.
Enjoy your visit!!!
The rose garden is located behid the fortress. From the terrace you can have a wonderful view over the town. more travel advice
After the Mainfrankisches Museum you arrive in a very big courtyard where you can see a fantastic gateway built in 1482.... more travel advice
Written Mar 16, 2008
Residenz: staircase of honor
Written Mar 16, 2008
Residenz: state apartments
Cristian_Uluru's Related Pages
Würzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Würzburg: the home of Tiepolo's masterpieces"
- "Würzburg: Bishops, Professors and Bocksbeutel"
- "Opera and cycling in Würzburg"
- "Wurzburg - Historic Town On The Main River"
- "Wurzburg and it's magnificent Residence"
- "The Head of the Romantique Strasse"
- "Wuerzburg for wine........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Würzburg
- Hotels in Würzburg
- Transportation in Würzburg
- Nightlife in Würzburg
- Restaurants in Würzburg
- Shopping in Würzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Würzburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Würzburg
- 37 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Würzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Würzburg
- Posted in Travel Milan Forum "Re: Transfer from Milan to Bellagio"
- Commented on one of Cristian_Uluru's Würzburg travel pages
- updated a Würzburg Travel Page "Würzburg: the home of Tiepolo's masterpieces"
- Wrote a Review Marienberg: Rose Garden in Würzburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Marienberg: Rose Garden"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 258 reviews, 758 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pompeii Intro, 114 reviews, 472 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Intro, 120 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 157 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 80 reviews, 188 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 42 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 69 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg Intro, 37 reviews, 142 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Innsbruck Intro, 38 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 58 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues