"Loved the Energy of Madrid" Madrid by Donna_in_India

Madrid Travel Guide: 5,356 reviews and 10,924 photos

This was my first trip to Madrid (to Spain actually) and although meant to be a kind of stopover between other points was especially enjoyable. Within a few hours of landing in Madrid and walking around, I knew that I was going to wish we had more time there.

Puerto del Sol is the physical and emotional heart of the city with lots of energy and action in the area.

Late April weather was really nice (warmer than usual for that time of year) and there weren’t many crowds. The metro and bus systems are good and easy to use (although the metro was dirty), but we still managed to do a lot of walking.

The people were friendly and the tapas were delicious. Lots of choice for accommodations – even the budget ones are decent (although usually small).

I was even thrilled to be able to use some of my high school Spanish and my Spanish skills aside, most people took me to be Spanish.

The only thing that was not good was the bullfighting. This seems to be a very controversial topic so all I will say that it was not for me. I was so sorry I did not heed another VTers advice not to go.

I’ve included a travelogue which is from my day-to-day journal of our time in Madrid along with my tips. Hope you enjoy them.

• Last visit to Madrid: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2009

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Hmmm... interesting discussion about bull fight - if I am in a tour group and it is part of the itinerary, I think I will see it as a tourist.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2009 at 5:42 PM

One of my driving trips around Andalucia the village I stayed at was having a bullfight-quite funny to see them up close at my B&B in all their wierd finery!I climbed up a hill to see over the bullring to watch 5mins-all I ever want to watch in my life!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Spain has a tradition of bullfighting like other countries have other traditions which seen from Spain might look horrible. I don't understand why tourists who love animals spend money on corridas. They know the bull will be killed.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2008 at 5:27 AM

I'm sorry you had to witness that barbaric thing they did to the bulls :( just wanted to let you know that the church next to/in front of the Royal Palace is Almúdena Cathedral - in case you wanna make a tip of it :D

Donna_in_India

“I didn't know we were making memories. I just thought we were having fun.”

Badges & Stats in Madrid