"Beautiful, Peaceful Bonaire" Bonaire by Donna_in_India
Bonaire Travel Guide: 282 reviews and 640 photos
Along with Aruba and Curacao, Bonaire is one of the ABC islands. Located 50 miles north of Venezuela the island has a population of 15,000. There really is only one way to describe Bonaire and that would be unspoiled. It is best known for its amazing scuba diving. As one guidebook states, "Unlike some other islands, Bonaire isn't just surrounded by coral reefs - it IS the reef, sitting on the dry sunny top of an underwater mountain".
The locals like the way the island is - not very developed - and have no intentions of letting it become like Aruba. Therefore, if you're not mostly into nature - scuba diving, bird-watching (over 200 species on the island), etc., best to skip Bonaire and head somewhere else. Even the beaches alone are not worth coming here for. Most people are content to come off a cruise ship for a day's visit.
The capital, Kralendijk, has an excellent historcial walking tour. Other places to visit include Washington Slagbaal National Park, Goto Lake, Flamingo Sanctaury, Salt Flats, Slave Huts, and 1,000 Steps.
- Cons:Not very developed (could be considered a con)
- In a nutshell:A place for nature and pure relaxation.
The 1000 Steps staircase leads from your car to the beach below. The 1000 Steps beach is one of the island's most famous... more travel advice
Kralendijk, pronounced KROLL-en-dike, is the capital of Bonaire. The name translates literally to "dyke made from... more travel advice
Donna_in_India's Related Pages
Bonaire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bounty of natural beauty"
- "Bonaire Sights - Mostly Above Water"
- "Divers' Paradise: Bonaire"
- "Bon Bini!"
- "Divers' Paradise"
- "Natural Island Paradise"
- "Bonaire-snorkeling and scuba heaven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bonaire
- Hotels in Bonaire
- Transportation in Bonaire
- Nightlife in Bonaire
- Restaurants in Bonaire
- Shopping in Bonaire
- Warnings and Dangers in Bonaire
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bonaire
- 11 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Bonaire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bonaire
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 60 reviews, 165 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 75 reviews, 121 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 37 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aurangabad Intro, 24 reviews, 133 photos, 10 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 20 reviews, 130 photos, 12 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 119 photos, 10 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 136 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- Kochi Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pondicherry Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (217)
Latest Bonaire hotel reviews
- Plaza Resort Bonaire
- 270 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Sorobon Beach Resort
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino Bonaire
- 380 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Eden Beach Resort
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Caribbean Club Bonaire
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Sand Dollar Condominium Resort
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Harbour Village Beach Resort
- 208 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Lions Dive & Beach Resort Bonaire
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Captain Don's Habitat Bonaire
- 189 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- The Lizard Inn
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Black Durgon Inn and Scuba Center
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013