"Amritsar: A Special Place" Top 5 Page for this destination Amritsar by Donna_in_India

Amritsar Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 818 photos

Amritsar is located in the northern Indian state of Punjab, not too far from the Pakistan border. Amritsar means "The Pool Of The Nectar Of Immortality" and is so named for the sacred pool in the Golden Temple, the city's most famous sight and the holiest shrine of the Sikh religion.

Amritsar is located on the Old Silk Route and was an important trading town. Today it produces pashmina shawls, carpets, and silk goods. It is also a major exporter of Basmati rice.

With a population of about 1 million people, Amritsar is more rural than city - loads of farmland - with most activity centering around the temple itself. It does seem calmer than most Indian cities - few hawkers and beggars, and more cycle-rickshaws than noisy and smelly auto-rickshaws.

The highlight of course, is the Golden Temple. The best time to visit is early morning but evening is also nice. If you are lucky enough to visit during a holiday, then you will see the entire complex shimmering with thousands of various colored lights.

The Jallianwala Bagh is another must see in Amritsar. It is the site of the 1919 unprovoked massacre by British troops on Indians. In the end, hundreds of Indians were murdered. It was such a "vivid" place and for me, one of the most meaningful places I have visited in India.

The final must see in the area is the Wagah Border ceremony. Each night the gates between Indian and Pakistan are locked until the following morning. The ceremony attended nightly by thousands of people is a good natured competition between the Indian and Pakistan officers. It was very special being there.

It will take some effort to reach Amritsar but is very worth the trip. Two days and two nights (1 evening at the Golden Temple, 1 at the Wagah Border) is enough to explore.

• In a nutshell:Worth the effort to get there...
  • Last visit to Amritsar: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 12, 2009

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Very nice page. The Golden Temple is the center of the Sikh Universe.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
      Feb 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

The Golden Temple is gorgeous Stephen! Should definitely be on your list when you visit India.

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2013 at 4:34 AM

I forgot to say hello, how forgetful and rude of me, so" Namaste, Donna."

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
      Jan 23, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Namaste and a belated welcome to VT! Looking forward to reading more of your India stories. Let me know when you post.

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2013 at 4:21 AM

I passed through Amritsar quite a few times in my Indian travels, long ago. I remember a Gurdwarah, Ganj Sis, near the Golden Temple, where some Sikh holy men persuaded me to accept the gift of a Gurra (stainless steel bangle). I was hesitant, at first, to accept and wear it, not being a follower of that religion, but one of them "Nagi" assured me it would bring me good luck, so with lots of wet soap they fitted it to my right hand wrist, and thirty four years later, it's still there, my hand seems to have enlarged over the years and it's impossible to remove.
    I believe my Gurra has indeed brought me good health and good luck, having survived many dangerous travel experiences!

Benny.

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Hi Donna, a nice page you have here - I want to see also something in India! Is not dangerous to visit there? - have a good weekend! L.

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2011 at 5:03 AM

Thanks for your wonderfully detailed tips Donna. Regret not making it to Amritsar when in India this year. Had planned to but got sidetracked in Sri Lanka ;) Thanks for sharing
    Brian

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Donna, this page is fantastic! All tips are excellent but the warning/advice tips are the best I've ever seen!! Would love to visit India, but I don't think I could do it without a tour it seems! Happy Birthday!!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Excellent description as expected from Donna. Jalianawala massacre led to Tagore return the Knighthood conferred on him. The Massacre was also avenged by killing Gen. Dyer some years later by Udham Singh in England.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Wonderful writing Donna. Have yet to get to Amritsar but feel like I have from reading your tips.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 11:28 AM

YOur story of the golden temple and other sites here is fascinating. YOu have such great detail; maybe write instead of IT work? Thanks for the tour and enjoy your times.

Donna_in_India

“I didn't know we were making memories. I just thought we were having fun.”

Badges & Stats in Amritsar

Have you been to Amritsar?

Latest Activity in Amritsar