"Amritsar: A Special Place" Top 5 Page for this destination Amritsar by Donna_in_India
Amritsar Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 818 photos
Amritsar is located in the northern Indian state of Punjab, not too far from the Pakistan border. Amritsar means "The Pool Of The Nectar Of Immortality" and is so named for the sacred pool in the Golden Temple, the city's most famous sight and the holiest shrine of the Sikh religion.
Amritsar is located on the Old Silk Route and was an important trading town. Today it produces pashmina shawls, carpets, and silk goods. It is also a major exporter of Basmati rice.
With a population of about 1 million people, Amritsar is more rural than city - loads of farmland - with most activity centering around the temple itself. It does seem calmer than most Indian cities - few hawkers and beggars, and more cycle-rickshaws than noisy and smelly auto-rickshaws.
The highlight of course, is the Golden Temple. The best time to visit is early morning but evening is also nice. If you are lucky enough to visit during a holiday, then you will see the entire complex shimmering with thousands of various colored lights.
The Jallianwala Bagh is another must see in Amritsar. It is the site of the 1919 unprovoked massacre by British troops on Indians. In the end, hundreds of Indians were murdered. It was such a "vivid" place and for me, one of the most meaningful places I have visited in India.
The final must see in the area is the Wagah Border ceremony. Each night the gates between Indian and Pakistan are locked until the following morning. The ceremony attended nightly by thousands of people is a good natured competition between the Indian and Pakistan officers. It was very special being there.
It will take some effort to reach Amritsar but is very worth the trip. Two days and two nights (1 evening at the Golden Temple, 1 at the Wagah Border) is enough to explore.
- In a nutshell:Worth the effort to get there...
1. Double-check all hotel and restaurant bills for errors. 2. Don't leave cash and valuables in your hotel room. Use... more travel advice
You will come across monkeys in many places in India - everywhere from temples to forts to jungles. The monkeys in the... more travel advice
Donna_in_India's Related Pages
Amritsar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amritsar: A Special Place"
- "Amritsar, One of my favorite places in India"
- "Amritsar Tank of Nectar"
- "Vibrant Amritsar"
- "AMRITSAR-Turbans galore !"
- "Embassy of India in the Philippines (Chancery)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amritsar
- Hotels in Amritsar
- Transportation in Amritsar
- Nightlife in Amritsar
- Restaurants in Amritsar
- Shopping in Amritsar
- Warnings and Dangers in Amritsar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amritsar
- 16 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Amritsar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amritsar
Photos in AmritsarSee All Photos (103)
Videos in AmritsarSee All Videos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 60 reviews, 165 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 77 reviews, 123 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 37 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aurangabad Intro, 24 reviews, 133 photos, 10 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 20 reviews, 130 photos, 12 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 119 photos, 10 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 136 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 48 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos