"Fantastic Sights in Aurangabad" Top 5 Page for this destination Aurangabad by Donna_in_India

Aurangabad Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 628 photos

The Famous Caves

I absolutely LOVED the sights of Aurangabad. Although it can be a little lengthy to reach, I highly recommend visiting here. Aurangabad itself is not very touristy/tourist oriented. While we were there I didn't see any other foreigners. Surprisingly Ellora is said to be the busiest tourist site in Maharashtra but it did not feel crowded at all when we were there. However, it is not recommended that you visit from April til the first week of June during school holidays (not to mention the heat!).

The Ellora and Ajanta Caves, have been designated World Heritage Sites by UNESCO and are fascinating. The Ellora caves are very close to Aurangabad and consist of Buddhist, Hindu, and Jain caves. Although there are some frescoes, these caves are most famous for their sculptures (stone carvings). Ajanta is further outside of Aurangabad and consists of only Buddhist caves. Ajanta is most famous for its outstanding frescoes. I'm very partial to sculpture so I enjoyed Ellora more than Ajanta. I think that is an unusual opinion though. I guess you will just have to go for yourself and decide!

Daulatabad Fortress and Ghrishneshwar Temple

Two other must sees include Daulatabad Fortress and Ghrishneshwar Temple (a Jyotirlingas). I love visiting forts in India - and Daultabad probably ranks in my top 3 along with Amber Fort in Jaipur and Agra Fort in Agra. The temple is an especially important temple for Hindus. Please see my tips for more specific information.

General Tips

The best time to go is between October and March. Even at the best time, it can get very hot walking around the caves and fort. Be sure to have sunglasses/glares, a hat, and a bottle of water. It's also a good idea to bring a flashlight to see better inside the darker caves. Wear comfortable shoes as well. I'd recommend getting a guide at Ellora, Ajanta and the Fort. I'd allow a minimum of 3 days (not including travel days) to explore the area.

• Pros:Fascinating Sights!!
  • Cons:Not tourist oriented (I thought this was a good thing!)
  • In a nutshell:I believe this is a MUST SEE in India!
  • Last visit to Aurangabad: Nov 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2011

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Great page with a very good and practical information
    Of course , I will take in my next trip
    Gracias !!!!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
      Jan 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Thanks for visiting my Aurangabad pages. It was one of my favorite places in India - loved the caves and fort!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Nice page on Aurangabad. Though you focused more on excursions than the city itself. None the less, its a prospect since both the Ellora and Ajante caves are on my India List.

• Liatris1's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Wow!
    A lot of good information about the sights in /around Aurangabad here!
    I've been to the Ajanta caves, and loved it! Didn't go to the Ellora caves, and regret it!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2011 at 8:20 AM

It works Donna!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2010 at 5:34 AM

Aurangabad is an amazing place with Ellora and Ajanta caves which are both UNESCO World Heritage sites and many forts, temples.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I enjoyed my virtual visit of these beautiful temples and caves, thanks!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM

The caves and sites of the area are wonderful. You did a great job of presenting this and describing the nice views.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 12:00 AM

If I go to India next year I will defenitly visit Ellora and Ajanta! Thanks Donna for sharing all this great information and lovely photos!

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Excellent and very interesting page! Will have to go there.

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Wowww! I was completely amazed by both the caves and the time and energy you spent to share with us. The tips were so informative and loved the pictures. Cheers from Ankara, Pinar

Donna_in_India

“I didn't know we were making memories. I just thought we were having fun.”

Badges & Stats in Aurangabad

Have you been to Aurangabad?

Latest Activity in Aurangabad