"A Little Piece of Heaven in India" Top 5 Page for this destination Darjeeling by Donna_in_India
Darjeeling Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 472 photos
Darjeeling (meaning place of the Thunderbolt) is located in the far northwestern corner of West Bengal. It's a hill station known as the "Queen of the Hills" and is surrounded by tea plantations. The town itself straddles a ridge over 6,000 feet high.
With the exception of nearby neighbors who come to escape the summer heat, most travellers don't seem to make it this far off the well-worn India travel route. I am so glad we did. Darjeeling is one of my favorite Indian cities. The air is crisp, the people are wonderful, the surroundings clean and green. The alpine scenery is stunning - with the star being Mt. Kanchenjunga, the third highest mountain in the world. When the clouds play hide and seek with Kanchenjunga, it's almost mystical.
There is also something tranquil about Darjeeling. Maybe it comes from all the colorful monasteries or maybe it's the pace of life. Whatever it is, it's definitely a little piece of heaven in India!
- Pros:Stunning scenery, warm & wonderful people
- Cons:Takes some doing to get here!
- In a nutshell:Would love to go back during a different season of the year
This was one of my 2 favorite experiences in Darjeeling. This huge, colorful Buddhist monastery sits high on a hill... more travel advice
This Buddhist stupa (Peace Pagoda) was designed by Dr. M. Okha, who also designed the Japanese Temple nearby. Under the... more travel advice
Donna_in_India's Related Pages
Darjeeling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "darjeeling-queen of hills"
- "Toy Train, Tiger Hill & Darjeeling Tea! What Else!"
- "Darjeeling, tea and a lot more....."
- "The Unmatched Queen of Hill Stations"
- "A Little Piece of Heaven in India"
- "Donna & Sandy in Darjeeling"
- "Tea Gardens and Good people!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Darjeeling
- Hotels in Darjeeling
- Transportation in Darjeeling
- Nightlife in Darjeeling
- Restaurants in Darjeeling
- Shopping in Darjeeling
- Warnings and Dangers in Darjeeling
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Darjeeling
- 11 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Darjeeling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Darjeeling
- Posted in Travel Goa Forum "Re: Goa in August"
- Commented on one of goutammitra's Darjeeling travel pages
- updated a Darjeeling Travelogue "Darjeeling Photos 7 (Druk Sangag Monastery)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Little Piece of Heaven in India"
- Wrote a Review Memories of Druk Sangag Choeling Monastery in Darjeeling Things to Do
Photos in DarjeelingSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 60 reviews, 165 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 77 reviews, 123 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 37 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aurangabad Intro, 24 reviews, 133 photos, 10 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 20 reviews, 130 photos, 12 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 119 photos, 10 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 136 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 48 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos