"Sacred City" Top 5 Page for this destination Kanchipuram by Donna_in_India
Kanchipuram Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 197 photos
Kanchipuram is located in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. This small temple town is one of India's seven sacred cities of Hindus. It is nicknamed "Kanchi" and the Golden City of 1,000 Temples, although there considerably less than 1,000.
The three great dynasties of Kanchi - Pallava, Chola, and Vijayanagar - left behind magnificent temples - each building greater temples than the previous dynasty. The temples are built in Dravidian style architecture - pyramid shaped with a step design. The "steps" are intricately carved stone and the temples are adorned with beautifully carved statues of deities. In India, the remaining temples of this style are almost all located in South India and they are quite spectacular.
There are nine major temples in Kanchi. Some of the temples are devoted to Vishnu but the majority are devoted to Shiva. The Vishnu temples are located in the southeast part of the city, Shiva temples in the north.
Non-Hindus are not allowed in the inner sanctums of the temples but there is much to see in the courtyards around the temples, especially of the major temples.
The temples open early but they close by 12 - 12:30. And they are very serious about closing times!! They re-open at 4:00 for a few hours.
Along with the temples, Kanchi is famous throughout India for beautifully colored silks and saris. Best to know your merchandise or shop at the government-approved shops.
You can make the trip easily as a day trip from Chennai or stay overnight, although choice of accommodations is limited.
- Pros:Beautiful, interesting temples.
- Cons:Not a "tourist" town (not really a con).
- In a nutshell:Take time to take in all the details!
Devarajaswami Temple, also known as Varadaraja Perumal Temple, was originally built in the 11th century. The 100 foot... more travel advice
Kanchipuram does not have an airport. The nearest airport is Chennai, which is about 50-60 kms from Kanchipuram. Daily... more travel advice
Donna_in_India's Related Pages
Kanchipuram Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kanchipuram-Temple&Silk city :)"
- "Sacred City"
- "land of a thousand temples"
- "Half a day stop in Kanchipuram"
- "Kanchipuram Photos 1"
- "Nagareshu Kanchi -- Kanchi -- the Temple town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kanchipuram
- Transportation in Kanchipuram
- Restaurants in Kanchipuram
- Shopping in Kanchipuram
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kanchipuram
- 6 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Kanchipuram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kanchipuram
Photos in KanchipuramSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 60 reviews, 165 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 77 reviews, 123 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 37 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aurangabad Intro, 24 reviews, 133 photos, 10 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 20 reviews, 130 photos, 12 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 119 photos, 10 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 136 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 48 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos