"Amazing & EroticTemples" Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho by Donna_in_India
Khajuraho Travel Guide: 265 reviews and 808 photos
Khajuraho is located in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. It is a small village in the shadow of the Vidhya hills and most famous for its Unesco World Heritage Temples.
Khajuraho was the religious capital of the Chandelas. The Chandelas were a powerful Rajput dynasty from the 10th to the 12th centuries. They built 85 temples in Khajuraho between 950 and 1050 AD. Life was very good then - people were rich - and happy. There were feasts, music, and dancing. It was against this backdrop that the temples were created.
Of the 85 temples only 20 remain. They are split into 3 sections - Western, Eastern, and Southern. The Eastern temples are Jain temples which are much more simple in design then the Western temples and don't have the amount or kinds of sculptures either.
The main temples are in the Western group and they are magnificient. The sculptures are actually are a part of the temple structures, not just an ornament on the outside. The are three types of sculptures: 1) sculptures of the divinities (including the images), 2) female sculptures variously known as nymphs, asparas, etc., and 3) the most famous of the scultures - Mithuna - the sculptures of couples in graceful, amorous, coitus, or perverted positions.
Mithuana sculptures are described in a guide book as "...the sensuously carved, erotic figures that have been shocking a variety of people, from Victorian archaeologists to busloads of blue-rinse tourists."
Let me just say that every kind (and I do mean every kind) of sexual act and coupling or grouping is depicted in the sculptures. I am sure that some are even illegal. :-) But I found most extremely beautiful and "happy".
So the big question seems to be why all the sex? One theory is that it is kind of a Kamasutra in stone - a "how to" guide. Another theory is that the figures were thought to prevent the temples from being struck by lightning by appealing to the rain god Indra. Indra it seems, was an old lecher and keen voyeur!
Rather more convincing is the explanation that these are Tantric images. According to this sect, gratification of the baser instincts is one way to blot out all the evils of the world and achieve nirvana. (I rather like that thinking!)
However, it is said that the real truth is that the Khajuraho sculptors were simply representing life as it was viewed by their society, including unhampererd sexual expression. It should be noted that most of the sculptures are not "erotic" but depict day to day life at that time.
It may take a little doing to get to Khajuraho but it still manages to be one of the most popular visitors destination in India.
- Pros:Beautiful Temples
- Cons:A little of out the way
- In a nutshell:One of the MUST SEEs in India
1. If not taking a prepaid taxi or a metered taxi/rickshaw, negotiate the fare before taking off. 2. If spending alot... more travel advice
Although it is smaller in size, the Vishwanath Temple is similar to the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple in both plan and... more travel advice
Donna_in_India's Related Pages
Khajuraho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Khajuraho"
- "Temples of Khajuraho"
- "Amazing & EroticTemples"
- "Eternal Expressions of Love Khajuraho"
- "Journal: Donna & Sandy in Khajuraho"
- "The Famed "Erotic" Temples of Khajuraho"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khajuraho
- Hotels in Khajuraho
- Transportation in Khajuraho
- Nightlife in Khajuraho
- Restaurants in Khajuraho
- Shopping in Khajuraho
- Warnings and Dangers in Khajuraho
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khajuraho
- 9 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Khajuraho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khajuraho
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Goa Intro, 60 reviews, 165 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 77 reviews, 123 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 37 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aurangabad Intro, 24 reviews, 133 photos, 10 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 20 reviews, 130 photos, 12 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 119 photos, 10 travelogues
- Ephesus Intro, 136 photos, 17 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hollywood Intro, 11 reviews, 122 photos, 10 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 48 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos