"The Shetland Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland by TomFoolery
Shetland Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 479 photos
The Shetland Islands lie off the North East coast of Scotland, some 60 miles North East of Orkney, and 187 miles South West of the Faroe Islands. This sounds remote, but in previous centuries when travelling by boat was considerably easier than travelling across land, Shetland's place in the the North Atlantic made it a place of considerable strategic and trading importance.
Lying at a latitude of 60 degrees North, they are as far North as the Southern tip of Greenland, although the gulf stream keeps average temperatures above freezing even in the winter months.
The total population of the islands is 22,000, with over 7,000 living in the capital Lerwick, which is the only town of any size on the islands. There are over 100 islands in total, Mainland is by far the largest and is where most of the population live.
North Sea oil brought prosperity to the islands in the 1970s, a lot of which was invested in sports and leisure facilities. Even some of the smaller villages have impressive leisure centres.
The islands are almost completely treeless, due to the strong winds the islands experience. The fastest wind speed recorded anywhere in Britain (192mph) was on Shetland.
- Pros:A very peaceful and traditional place
- Cons:Expect plenty of rain and strong winds
Car ferries connect the main islands of Shetland. There's usually a pretty frequent service (by that I mean perhaps 1 or... more travel advice
The island of Mousa lies just of the coast of Mainland, a few miles south of Lerwick. It is home to the best preserved... more travel advice
TomFoolery's Related Pages
Shetland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shetland Islands - History and Nature Together"
- "Sea, sky, seals, seabirds, space and silence..."
- "The Shetland Islands"
- "Shatland - a paradise for birdwatchers and hikers"
- "Foula Isle"
- "Ponies and Sheep but no Trees"
- "shetland islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shetland
- Hotels in Shetland
- Transportation in Shetland
- Nightlife in Shetland
- Restaurants in Shetland
- Shopping in Shetland
- Warnings and Dangers in Shetland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shetland
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Shetland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shetland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Klaksvík Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Reykjavík Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Streatham Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Tromsø Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Clapham Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Stornoway Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Hyde Park Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos