"Tórshavn - Europes Forgotten Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Tórshavn by TomFoolery

Tórshavn Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 339 photos

Ask someone to name a European capitals, and it's unlikely you'll be offered Tórshavn as an answer. To me, this massively adds to the appeal of the place - most people couldn't even tell you what the capital of the Faroe Islands is, let alone say they've been. I'll try and share some of my experiences in this page.

The Smallest Capital in the World?

I've seen Tórshavn called the smallest capital in the world by a number of different sources. I don't think this can be true, and certainly I've heard this claim from many other capital cities (Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands being one).
However it's certainly true to say it's small by most capitals standards. Just 18,000 people live here, mind you thats about a third of the whole population of the Faroes.

Pronunciation

I'd be interested to hear a locals view on this. I never quite mastered how to actually pronounce "Tórshavn", I think it's something like "Toe-Ush-Hown". However everyone understood what I meant if I said "Tour's Harven". I guess it's one of those things whereby a city changes it's name and pronunciation in a foreign language, like "Paree" becoming "Paris". Or something.

History

The name Tórshavn literally means "Thors Harbour", named after the Norse god of thunder.

The area called Tórshavn today encompasses 3 villages (or Bygd in Faroese) - Hoyvík, Tórshavn and Argir.

• Last visit to Tórshavn: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 29, 2005

• Guggli's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2007 at 6:11 AM

Correct price is DKK 70 pr night pr person. If you have a caravans there is an additional price of DKK 25 pr unit pr night. This is for electricity. The campsite is run by the Tourist Informationcentre in Tórshavn. Their website : www.visittorshavn.fo

• carlrea's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Hmmm quite similiar as respects to being drawn to the north. remind me to put this place on my wish list :-)

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2006 at 9:25 PM

Great page Ed. Not only do I now want to visit this city, but now I know the Capital of the Faroe Islands. Well done!

• Jun 1, 2006 at 5:06 AM

I came to the conclusion Torshavn is pronounced as torsion as in torsion bar, sort of tore-shone !

• seamandrew's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2005 at 5:40 PM

Ed, the page came out specatcular! One of these days (maybe even next year) I'll make it to the Faroe Islands. That museum was excactly like the one in Reykjavik. One room, nothing in English, and quite interesting nonetheless.

Badges & Stats in Tórshavn

Have you been to Tórshavn?

Latest Activity in Tórshavn