"A nice little town to visit" Onancock by jelw

Onancock Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 108 photos

Stories from Dahl Swamp

My husband, Dan and I quickly bought up a bunch of beautiful land on this Eastern Shore Penninsula.
We became proud owners of 20 acres of swamp land. Dahl swamp ( want to sell me a bridge?) to be specific. Fortunately we also own the dryer 25 acre farm across the street . This is where our horses get to run and play while we slave to bring in their crop of hay. :-)

Storm on the Wharf

The town of Onancock is very small, a few blocks of galleries, antiques and eateries. A small traditional town square and a lovely town wharf with great access to the Chesapeake Bay.
On rare occasion the bay feels welcome in the town.
You dear traveler are always welcome to our historic burg!

Onancock is located on the Delmarva Penninsula

Delmarva Peninsula is recognized by the United Nations as a “biosphere reserve”. This is one of the last wetland habitats in the world and one of the largest coastal wilderness on the Eastern Seaboard of the United States.

• Pros:Beautiful, Serene, Off the beaten Track
  • Cons:I'm a damn yankee what could be wrong?
  • In a nutshell:I love it, it's home as well as a good tourist destination!
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2010

• crewrower's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM

great page and nice horses :)

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Always love a trip to the Delmarva Peninsula! We got married at my husband's father's house in Modest Town. Last time down there, stopped at Mallards for dinner. Love Onancock. Thanks for the great tips.

• raytor's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Hugs

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2008 at 8:18 AM

looks like my kind of place - sea out the front; farms out the back; are the buckets full?

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2008 at 5:29 AM

with a name like that I couldnt resist having a look - and what an interesting page - lots of mud, seafood, pubs and I love the look of the countryside and its old houses! Thanks for the tour of your hometown!All the best.

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Onancock looks like a wonderful place to live. I particularly liked the church and also the concept of "gleanings". Your pictures and tips are very good. Thanks, Diane

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Your tip on Armandos makes me droool. ;) D**n, that Chesapeake Crab Soup looks gooooooooood!! Your home town looks like a LOT of fun!! Our church has a coffeehouse, too.

• Spincat's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2008 at 12:16 AM

How good to hear from you! I haven't been on VT much but now back. How touching reading about the gleaning custom - ancient! It is 8am and I am frozen from sitting 2 hours at computer on frosty morning, so off to make coffee....

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 7:53 AM

being a hometown page fan, i liked tips and pics here. how far is this from washington dc (road in hours and miles)?

• besbel's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Thanks for sharing. Onancock seems the perfect place to be, not big and surrounded by the sea and nature :)

jelw Used To Live Here!

jelw

“Go in Peace, Come back in one piece.”

Badges & Stats in Onancock

Have you been to Onancock?