"Cape Charles and surrounds" Cape Charles by jelw
Cape Charles Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 13 photos
"Heaven and earth never agreed better to frame a place for man's habitation..." So said Captain John Smith. Cape Charles is home to part of the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail, the first national water trail in the United States. The trail follows 1608 voyage by John Smith to chart the land and waterways of the Chesapeake Bay. Cape Charles recently celebrated the anniversary of his arrival on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Virginia.
This unique trail may be accessed in small part by land but primarily it is a water trail accessed by boat. So how do you follow in Captain Smith's wake? By interactive buoys which can be accessed by cell or internet.
The photo shows a replica of the "shallop" from which Capt John and his crew mapped coastal Eastern Shore and its tributaries. We were fortunate enough to be at the town wharf in time to see this amazing little vessel.
You have a choice of a number of different eateries in town. There are a few that offer entertainment as well. Cape Charles also features the Palace Theater, a grand old deco theater lovingly restored and lavishly active.
A wonderful small beach front town.
Seen here is the "Ride for MS" as we took a break from or fund raising drive in Cape Charles.
- Pros:Small, rural beachfront town
- Cons:Closed on Mondays
- In a nutshell:Once a virtual ghost town now a burgeoning beachside
Sunset Beach offers fun and entertainment beachside during the summer. The Pelican Pub tiki Bar is the hopin' place to... more travel advice
Bay Creek, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nichlaus Signature Golf Courses. Even before the course opened Golf Magazine was... more travel advice
jelw's Related Pages
Cape Charles Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Cape Charles
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Cape Charles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Charles
Photos in Cape CharlesSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Onancock Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos
- Key West Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hana Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chincoteague Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hope Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Virginia Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Maui Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Venice Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos