"My First Island" Harvey Cedars by jelw

Harvey Cedars Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 23 photos

My old home Isle

My first memory of Hary Cedars is at 5 years of age. Our family visit was over, I did not want to leave. In and of itself not so unusual to want the vacation to continue. What made this unique was that at the age of 5 I decided I was not willing to leave and understood that I needed to come up with an acceptable plan for my mom. My new friend Billy (an old man at 7 years of age) and I conspired. It worked! I spent the next week living with Billy's family. I returned with or without my family virtually every year since. To this day I am friends of this Harvey Cedars family. They are part of the founding history of this little Island town and an inextricable part of my life.
Many summers were spent in the surf here and in later years I could not bear to leave even at the end of the summer.
I lived here year round for many years. The allure of the dunes off season became even stronger than the summer waves.
Harvey Cedars was home to many of my firsts. My first memory of catching a wave, of building a sand castle, going fishing, a Nooney burger, soft serve ice cream and so much more.
I have not lived here for more than a decade now; I still go back for a walk on the beach, to visit a friend or sail the barnegat bay.
This page will be under construction perpetually.

• Pros:All my loved ones and my beloved 80th St. beach
  • Cons:paved paradise and put up a parking lot
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful natural beaches, too many houses.
  • Last visit to Harvey Cedars: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2006

• Dester's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I can only dream about what Chef Jill did with those fish!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2007 at 5:28 AM

There is no logical explanation for why we gravitate to certain places and other families...with such a strong bond. I've done the same in my life. Hope you are still enjoying the beach.

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2006 at 3:38 PM

Never heard of Harvey Cedars, but I certainly know the Barnegat lighthouse!

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2005 at 8:28 PM

Jill, Harvey Cedars sounds like a really neat place for "firsts". I hope you will continue adding to it, I am interested in seeing more about the place. Kat

jelw Used To Live Here!

jelw

“Go in Peace, Come back in one piece.”

Badges & Stats in Harvey Cedars

Have you been to Harvey Cedars?

Latest Activity in Harvey Cedars