"Eastern Shore of Virginia" Virginia by jelw
Virginia Travel Guide: 7,716 reviews and 18,663 photos
Captain Smith said of the Chesapeake environs he discovered for the crown "Heaven and Earth never agreed better to frame a place for Man’s habitation"
This is a remarkably beautiful area. As I wander the towns and "necks' of the Eastern Shore and other Bay area nooks I'll continue to update these pages.
The areas of Virginia surrounding the Bay are:
The Western Shore on the D.C. side
Hampton Roads/ The Pennisula to the South
and of course
The Eastern Shore bounding the Bay and the Atlantic.
The Eastern Shore is is a peninsula, full of cultural history, state parks & wildlife refuges. The Chesapeake Bay lays west meeting the Atlantic Ocean at the southern tip of "The Shore"
Maryland to the North and DC across the bay on the western shore. From the south you access this area by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, pictured here.
Below in the map, I have tried to give you an idea of where the towns I have tips about are located on the shore. Most of the shore is only about 10 miles wide.
The Eastern Shore is a step back in time, to a place where the familes are still working incredibly hard to keep the farms in operation.
Where hunting is still a way of life and a means to put meat on the table. The waters a form of farm and after harvest a form of fun.
Vegetables and fruits are most likely home grown or purchased from a neighbors farm stand.
We haven't any malls we have auctions.
On Sunday we spend the day at church followed up by family dinner.
To see more of the Eastern Shore visit some of my other pages...
Chincoteague & Island of wild ponies
Little city by the sea, Wachapreague
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. This is a destination in its own right. A series of double span bridges over water, islands and manmade isles, leading to a series of tunnels get you across the 17+ miles where the bay meets the Atlantic. It is one of the manmade wonders of the world. Designed so that if the bridges were ever attacked the Naval fleet would still be able to pass through where the tunnels exist.
This is not just a road to the Eastern Shore it also boasts a fishing pier, road stop restaurant and a few scenic overlooks.
- Pros:Beautiful simple country life,no 5 star all inclusives
- Cons:simple country life, no 5 star all inclusives
- In a nutshell:Enjoy the natural beauty
Wonderful local seafood and BBQ all prepared by hand. Swelling Toads aka Pufferfish Single fried Oysters - in... more travel advice
The Coast Guard protects our coastline, Marine Police our waters whilst the Ferry Service still carries us from one... more travel advice
jelw's Related Pages
Virginia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Virginia is for lovers!"
- "b1bob personally carries you back to Ol' Virginny"
- "VIRGINIA's northwestern region off the beaten path"
- "Welcome to VIRGINA"
- "The Ole Dominion"
- "Coming Home"
- "Welcome to our Virginia page!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Virginia
- Hotels in Virginia
- Transportation in Virginia
- Nightlife in Virginia
- Restaurants in Virginia
- Shopping in Virginia
- Warnings and Dangers in Virginia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Virginia
- 80 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 23 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Virginia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Virginia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: PERHAPS WE CAN HELP CATCH..."
- updated a Virginia Travelogue "Chincoteague Island /Assateague Wildlife Refuge"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Eastern Shore of Virginia"
- Wrote a Review Off eaten track in Virginia Restaurants
- Uploaded a Video to Virginia
- Commented on one of Seabiscuit's Virginia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Onancock Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos
- Key West Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hana Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chincoteague Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hope Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Venice Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Virginia Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Maui Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos