"The most exotic place may be your own backyard" jelw's Profile
...head out and discover new territory or re-discover favored places.
2012: Planned trips include New Orleans in early Feb and Saint Augustine in May.
2011 included trips to NY, Cape Cod, Chicago, the Carolinas, & DC amongst others.
My sister and I went to Tahiti first , then cruised around the Society Islands. Snorkel, swim and explored all day. The natural beauty of these islands is unparalleled.
I have rather eclectic tastes.
I love worldly things but have little desire to own them.
I tend to be a free spirit, yet take responsibility very seriously.
I take my business suit and heels with me to go camping.
I listen to Opera, Country, Klezmer and blues music amongst others.
I have very firm core beliefs yet love to debate and be open to new ideas.
I am fiercely independent yet feel comfort in reliance upon my husband.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bow lines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."
Part of the joy of sailing for me has been heading everywhere and nowhere in particular.
My father introduced me to sailing some 40+ years ago.
It has been the joy of my life to sail the tributaries, backwaters and the Sea. Still discovering more about the world and myself than I ever could imagine.
Thank you Dad.
My little boat RESPITE now has a new home. A father who wants to teach his daughter to sail has taken her over. How fitting.
If you are ever out on Chincoteague, Assateague bay, keep a lookout you just may see her sailing off for adventure with a new daughter at the helm.
I have been on an expedition since childhood. To me travel means experiencing a new territory or a previously visited place in a new way.
Sights to me are not just the famous monuments.
They are the sounds of the region and the smell of the earth.
The animation and the vibrance of the flora and fauna.
The susurrence of the waters on the shoreline.
I love the amalgamation of cultures and styles.
These are the monuments of travel to me.
Most recently - Chicago 2011
Riorich did an amazing job or organizing a wonderful meet for this crew. I was able to see old friends and meet some of the people behind the places, I'd only communicated online with before.
We looked chipper at 3am in the elevator at the BALTOBERFEST VT meet!
Left to Right: back & front of ToeMayn, Jelw, Little lulu w/ her man of mystery, Mike & Edgar
My 1st VT meeting was with the wonderful keida84
Then onto my 1st offical “VT Meet” Baltoberfest
3rd meeting was on Tangier Island with the brilliant GillianMcGlaughlin and her lovely family
4th meeting was a day at the beach with raytor
My 5th meet was The Seaside Meet in
Portsmouth, New Hampshire. A great group of Vt'ers had fun and made merry all over this charming port town.
6th VT meet was the Annual Punkin Chunkin in
Bridgeville, DE, US. Punkin Chunkin meet
This was a fun small meet with a terrific group including but not limited to wild80s, Besbel
I have had a few "meets" with 2 or 3 VT'ers here and there over the years. All lovely but non more fun then hooking up with Littlesam, Hikerpark, Katie and Mike (belting out a post Haitian I miss you song for Ellen aka Ellielou) this winter at Jerry D's in Balto. Larry's Birthday
People often ask me why I don't have any children. My response....
I have 21 nieces and nephews as well as 20 God children.
So now some may say my cup runneth over with children.
Most all of my loved ones happen to live in the U.S. just now. In the past they have lived in South Africa, England, Germany amongst others.
A varied mix of cultures. I am second generation North American. My Grandparents were born in Switzerland (seen in the photo), Spain and Russia. My mother born in New York City and my father born in Beverly Hills, California. Believe me those are two very different cultures.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 305 Reviews
- 632 Photos
- 10 Countries
- 50 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
- Commented on one of Dabs's Chicago tips
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: People who make me smile"
- updated a Long Beach Travel Page "6 miles at Sea"
- Uploaded a Photo to "6 miles at Sea"
- Wrote a Review Worth the walk across the bridge in New Hope Restaurants
- jelw and seabiscuit-sis are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "The most exotic place may be your own backyard"
- Uploaded a Video to Virginia
PhotosSee All Photos (632)
Top 10 Pages
- Onancock Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos
- Key West Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hana Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chincoteague Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Hope Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Rome Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Virginia Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maui Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Venice Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54008 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7699 Reviews - 19779 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos