"The most exotic place may be your own backyard" jelw's Profile

But sometimes you just need to...

...head out and discover new territory or re-discover favored places.

2012: Planned trips include New Orleans in early Feb and Saint Augustine in May.

2011 included trips to NY, Cape Cod, Chicago, the Carolinas, & DC amongst others.

French Polynesia!

My sister and I went to Tahiti first , then cruised around the Society Islands. Snorkel, swim and explored all day. The natural beauty of these islands is unparalleled.

A bit about me.

I have rather eclectic tastes.
I love worldly things but have little desire to own them.
I tend to be a free spirit, yet take responsibility very seriously.
I take my business suit and heels with me to go camping.
I listen to Opera, Country, Klezmer and blues music amongst others.
I have very firm core beliefs yet love to debate and be open to new ideas.
I am fiercely independent yet feel comfort in reliance upon my husband.

Shantih, a peace beyond understanding

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bow lines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Mark Twain

For Sail...

Part of the joy of sailing for me has been heading everywhere and nowhere in particular.

My father introduced me to sailing some 40+ years ago.
It has been the joy of my life to sail the tributaries, backwaters and the Sea. Still discovering more about the world and myself than I ever could imagine.
Thank you Dad.

My little boat RESPITE now has a new home. A father who wants to teach his daughter to sail has taken her over. How fitting.

If you are ever out on Chincoteague, Assateague bay, keep a lookout you just may see her sailing off for adventure with a new daughter at the helm.

On Travel...

I have been on an expedition since childhood. To me travel means experiencing a new territory or a previously visited place in a new way.
Sights to me are not just the famous monuments.
They are the sounds of the region and the smell of the earth.
The animation and the vibrance of the flora and fauna.
The susurrence of the waters on the shoreline.
I love the amalgamation of cultures and styles.
These are the monuments of travel to me.

VT meets

Most recently - Chicago 2011
Riorich did an amazing job or organizing a wonderful meet for this crew. I was able to see old friends and meet some of the people behind the places, I'd only communicated online with before.

We looked chipper at 3am in the elevator at the BALTOBERFEST VT meet!
Left to Right: back & front of ToeMayn, Jelw, Little lulu w/ her man of mystery, Mike & Edgar

My 1st VT meeting was with the wonderful keida84
in Chincoteague

Then onto my 1st offical “VT Meet” Baltoberfest

3rd meeting was on Tangier Island with the brilliant GillianMcGlaughlin and her lovely family

4th meeting was a day at the beach with raytor
in Norfolk

My 5th meet was The Seaside Meet in
Portsmouth, New Hampshire. A great group of Vt'ers had fun and made merry all over this charming port town.

6th VT meet was the Annual Punkin Chunkin in
Bridgeville, DE, US. Punkin Chunkin meet
This was a fun small meet with a terrific group including but not limited to wild80s, Besbel
Ellielou

I have had a few "meets" with 2 or 3 VT'ers here and there over the years. All lovely but non more fun then hooking up with Littlesam, Hikerpark, Katie and Mike (belting out a post Haitian I miss you song for Ellen aka Ellielou) this winter at Jerry D's in Balto. Larry's Birthday
Littlesam

My cup runneth over

People often ask me why I don't have any children. My response....
I Do!
I have 21 nieces and nephews as well as 20 God children.
So now some may say my cup runneth over with children.
Most all of my loved ones happen to live in the U.S. just now. In the past they have lived in South Africa, England, Germany amongst others.

Heritage

A varied mix of cultures. I am second generation North American. My Grandparents were born in Switzerland (seen in the photo), Spain and Russia. My mother born in New York City and my father born in Beverly Hills, California. Believe me those are two very different cultures.

• Intro Updated Jan 2, 2012

• Lumumba's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2014 at 8:18 AM

I have never been on the VT for more than a year now due to sickness but I am way to recovery. I just wanted to say a belated Happy Happy Birthday.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:18 AM

Lumumba, it is good to see you back on VT. Very glad to hear you are recovering. I hope you are feeling better with each day. Thank you for the Birthday wishes.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Happy happy birthday my friend! Sorry I missed the day (I am nearing the end of this PD drug trial and have been out of sorts and unable to spend much time at the computer) but its getting better so here I am to wish you a happy day and the best year ever. Love, Kat

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Thank you, I had a lovely celebration. Glad to hear its getting better for you. I hope the drug trial will benefit you and many others. It is always great to hear from you Kat.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Hi and Happy Birthday! hope you had a great day!

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Happy Birthday from sunny Florida.

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Happy day to you Kathy. Soak up a bit of that Florida sun for me! Thanks for the wishes.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM

84 today. Put the top down and took the nieces and nephews for a ride. Ice cream cones and all......lol.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Happy Birthday from sunny Florida.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2014 at 5:59 AM

Happy birthday Jill!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2014 at 5:57 AM

Happy Birthday from windy Lundy Jill - enjoy.

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Hello John, thanks for the birthday greeting.

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Much fun was had and still being had...time to head to the boat now. Thanks for the birthday wishes Maynard.

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2014 at 4:46 AM

I'll see you on FB but just in case you check in here, Happy Birthday sweetheart!

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Thanks Homs. Im heading out on the water now. Thinking of you and your fishing injury. Hoping you are well healed now. Thanks for the Birthday wishes. xoxo

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2014 at 3:08 AM

Happy Birthday Jill, have a bucket full of fun.

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:50 AM

My bucket is full to overflowing. Thank you so for remembering and thank you for the birthday greeting. Hugs to you.
      Jill

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
jelw's Profile Photo

jelw

“Go in Peace, Come back in one piece.”

Real Name