"The most exotic place may be your own backyard" jelw's Profile

But sometimes you just need to...

...head out and discover new territory or re-discover favored places.

2012: Planned trips include New Orleans in early Feb and Saint Augustine in May.

2011 included trips to NY, Cape Cod, Chicago, the Carolinas, & DC amongst others.

French Polynesia!

My sister and I went to Tahiti first , then cruised around the Society Islands. Snorkel, swim and explored all day. The natural beauty of these islands is unparalleled.

A bit about me.

I have rather eclectic tastes.
I love worldly things but have little desire to own them.
I tend to be a free spirit, yet take responsibility very seriously.
I take my business suit and heels with me to go camping.
I listen to Opera, Country, Klezmer and blues music amongst others.
I have very firm core beliefs yet love to debate and be open to new ideas.
I am fiercely independent yet feel comfort in reliance upon my husband.

Shantih, a peace beyond understanding

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bow lines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Mark Twain

For Sail...

Part of the joy of sailing for me has been heading everywhere and nowhere in particular.

My father introduced me to sailing some 40+ years ago.
It has been the joy of my life to sail the tributaries, backwaters and the Sea. Still discovering more about the world and myself than I ever could imagine.
Thank you Dad.

My little boat RESPITE now has a new home. A father who wants to teach his daughter to sail has taken her over. How fitting.

If you are ever out on Chincoteague, Assateague bay, keep a lookout you just may see her sailing off for adventure with a new daughter at the helm.

On Travel...

I have been on an expedition since childhood. To me travel means experiencing a new territory or a previously visited place in a new way.
Sights to me are not just the famous monuments.
They are the sounds of the region and the smell of the earth.
The animation and the vibrance of the flora and fauna.
The susurrence of the waters on the shoreline.
I love the amalgamation of cultures and styles.
These are the monuments of travel to me.

VT meets

Most recently - Chicago 2011
Riorich did an amazing job or organizing a wonderful meet for this crew. I was able to see old friends and meet some of the people behind the places, I'd only communicated online with before.

We looked chipper at 3am in the elevator at the BALTOBERFEST VT meet!
Left to Right: back & front of ToeMayn, Jelw, Little lulu w/ her man of mystery, Mike & Edgar

My 1st VT meeting was with the wonderful keida84
in Chincoteague

Then onto my 1st offical “VT Meet” Baltoberfest

3rd meeting was on Tangier Island with the brilliant GillianMcGlaughlin and her lovely family

4th meeting was a day at the beach with raytor
in Norfolk

My 5th meet was The Seaside Meet in
Portsmouth, New Hampshire. A great group of Vt'ers had fun and made merry all over this charming port town.

6th VT meet was the Annual Punkin Chunkin in
Bridgeville, DE, US. Punkin Chunkin meet
This was a fun small meet with a terrific group including but not limited to wild80s, Besbel
Ellielou

I have had a few "meets" with 2 or 3 VT'ers here and there over the years. All lovely but non more fun then hooking up with Littlesam, Hikerpark, Katie and Mike (belting out a post Haitian I miss you song for Ellen aka Ellielou) this winter at Jerry D's in Balto. Larry's Birthday
Littlesam

My cup runneth over

People often ask me why I don't have any children. My response....
I Do!
I have 21 nieces and nephews as well as 20 God children.
So now some may say my cup runneth over with children.
Most all of my loved ones happen to live in the U.S. just now. In the past they have lived in South Africa, England, Germany amongst others.

Heritage

A varied mix of cultures. I am second generation North American. My Grandparents were born in Switzerland (seen in the photo), Spain and Russia. My mother born in New York City and my father born in Beverly Hills, California. Believe me those are two very different cultures.

• Intro Updated Jan 2, 2012

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:33 PM

belated birthday wishes! hope it was a good one. Just had the last 5-6 days travelling to and in Beijing with a lady from Greece who tells me she lives on a racing yacht back in Thessaloniki...came to Shenyang for the international boat race having a leg there

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Wow, Angie, what a wonderful trip. Sounds like you have a fascinating travel companion. Living on a yacht in Greece sounds like my cup of tea! Thank you for the birthday wishes. Happy travels. Jill

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:32 AM

hi thanks from back in wifi and electricity zone in Mongolia, Ulanbatar lol...6 days in places without, and almost my entire suitcase of clothes, except the summer ones, are in the wash, and catch up time now!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Happy Birthday from windy Lundy Jill.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:43 PM

happy belated birthday my friend I hope you are staying warm back there

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:32 PM

Thank you. We managed to make it through with many blankets and much snuggling. Life is good here on the Eastern Shore.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2015 at 8:30 AM

Happy Birthday Jill

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Thanks Hansi. My best to you and Lori.

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2015 at 3:42 AM

Happy Brithday Jill!

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Thanks Homs. It has been a lovely relaxing day.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Hey gal! Are you getting a lot of rain? Just stopped by to keep in touch. I am making plans to visit the Big Island of Hawaii this coming June. First big trip in a long time. Girl trip only--Just me and Kris for 2 weeks. I have been multiple times prior so sightseeing will not be a taxing activity. Lying on the beach or by the pol with my Kindle is what I look forward to most. Have you any grand plans to travel in 2015? Love ya, Kat

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Just stopping by to say "Howdy" Paul and I were talking about you the other day. We were reminiscing about that trip we took and the day we got to spend with you. It was a lovely conversation, indeed...

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM

How ironic.. I was just talking about you w/ Kristi &Hansi on FB! I had commented how happy I was to see you back on here. It was a great joy for me to have that time with you and Paul. I still hope we may someday get another chance to visit. In the meanwhile it is wonderful to be in touch again.

• VTDC's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2014 at 12:14 AM

You are currently signed up to the VT DC Meet (VT Meeting). As we are 6 weeks away, we would ask you review your sign-up and remove your name if you are definitely no longer attending.

If you are attending, there are a number of individual event meets, all of which are listed on "The Plan" - our TL which lists details and links to the meets so you can decide which one(s) you might like to join us for. If you are confirmed attending any of the individual events, can you please ensure that you have signed up for them so that we can have a clear indication of the numbers attending and/or whom to expect.

If you have any questions/queries, feel free to drop a note to us and we'll see about getting an answer back to you as quickly as possible.

We're looking forward to seeing you in Washington!
    Have fun planning!!

• Lumumba's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2014 at 8:18 AM

I have never been on the VT for more than a year now due to sickness but I am way to recovery. I just wanted to say a belated Happy Happy Birthday.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:18 AM

Lumumba, it is good to see you back on VT. Very glad to hear you are recovering. I hope you are feeling better with each day. Thank you for the Birthday wishes.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Happy happy birthday my friend! Sorry I missed the day (I am nearing the end of this PD drug trial and have been out of sorts and unable to spend much time at the computer) but its getting better so here I am to wish you a happy day and the best year ever. Love, Kat

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Thank you, I had a lovely celebration. Glad to hear its getting better for you. I hope the drug trial will benefit you and many others. It is always great to hear from you Kat.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Hi and Happy Birthday! hope you had a great day!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
jelw's Profile Photo

jelw

“Go in Peace, Come back in one piece.”

Real Name