"An ancient village in the heart of Limburg" Buchten by robertgaz
Buchten Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 12 photos
The history of Buchten dates back to the 11th century when it was known as Butines.
Buchten is situated in the middle of the narrowest part of Limburg. It is 8km's from both the German and Belgian borders. The locals speak a dialect which in neither Dutch nor German and understood only among themselves.
There are no real attractions here. It's a small village where the locals enjoy the quiet life. There are a couple of pubs and a few shops mainly for the benefit of the burghers of Buchten.
There is also a Catholic church for it's parishioners and they celebrate several events throughout the year. These include Christmas, Easter, Carnival and Sacrament Day.
If you head north-west of Sittard you will notice that I have circled Buchten on the map.
If you Do happen to passing through Buchten sometime during June, you may witness the Sacrament Day Procession.
This street scene was in the middle of November when the mercury dropped to -8C. Officially it was still autumn but I... more travel advice
The province of Limburg has a strong Catholic following and many events are celebrated throughout the year. These... more travel advice
robertgaz's Related Pages
Buchten Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Buchten
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Buchten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buchten
Photos in BuchtenSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 88 reviews, 394 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bunbury Intro, 78 reviews, 345 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 43 reviews, 232 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 57 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gold Coast Intro, 46 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 50 reviews, 176 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 30 reviews, 107 photos
- Stirling Range Intro, 17 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Springbrook Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Queensland Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos