"Den Haag" Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague by robertgaz

The Hague Travel Guide: 1,249 reviews and 2,883 photos

City of peace and parks

The Hague (with a capital T) is also known as ‘s Gravenhage (the Count’s Hedge) but it is most commonly referred to as Den Haag (The Hedge).

Although Amsterdam is the capital city of the Netherlands, Den Haag is really where all the action is because it is the seat of government for both the upper and lower houses and the International Court of Justice regugarly convenes here. The Dutch Royal family also lives and works in Den Haag.

All foreign embassies and government ministries are located here as well as the Supreme Court and the International Court of Justice, so much of the working population here is involved with the civil service.

The population of Den Haag now is around 469,000, which is less than the 600,00 when I lived here in the 1960’s. During the 1970s and 80s a lot of the white middle classes moved to nearby towns like Voorburg, Leidschendam, Rijswijk and mostly to Zoetermeer.

I lived here for the first 8 years of my life so I guess that originally I was a "Haagenaar". I remember the crowded inner city living but also a city with very pretty public parks. The “Zuiderpark” was a 10 minute walk from home and was endowed with a football stadium, a public swimming pool, gorgeous gardens with interesting sculptures. During the long cold winter months it was possible to skate on the frozen lake.

• Last visit to The Hague: Jun 2000
  • Intro Updated Apr 22, 2008

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I think I should spend more time in Den Haag, next time I come to visit this oil company with the clam as emblem, which has its head office here; I like the parks and a tour on the canals is always enjoyable. Back to the place of first exploits, Robert?

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 6:21 AM

Stopped by to smell the Roses in the Hague's beautiful parks. This place is just a short plane hop from Aberdeen - must visit soon

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2008 at 10:16 AM

With The Hague so much in the news right now, I wanted to know more about it and came across your interesting page. It looks much nicer than I had thought, TV only shows the modern, functional buildings. Thank you.

• Jun 16, 2008 at 5:18 AM

Nice page, great info!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2008 at 1:05 AM

an interesting page, Robert ! I always had the feeling The Hague must be full of modern bureau-buildings instead of such an interesting town with nice,old architecture !

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2007 at 6:45 AM

The last time I was in Den Haag was also 2000. Very nice small city - lovely walks and a great art gallery I remember. leyle

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 2:10 PM

It's always great to read nice pages about my homecountry. The draaiorgel is typical Dutch! Thanx for sharing.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 1:06 AM

a wonderful page Robert, brought back so many fond memories...and I see some GOOD beers here,and when I have a good day, understand dutch still alright:-) I'm glad I stopped by again Rob..great updates, superb page

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 10:01 AM

Nice write up on your Den Haag page, I hope to visit here in August as I always try get out of the Dam each time I visit friends I'll be visiting Utercht but perhaps here too

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2006 at 1:30 PM

There's definitely more to see in Den Haag then I thought....Nice page!!!

robertgaz Used To Live Here!

robertgaz

“My WAy's the byWAys of W.A.'s highWAys...”

Badges & Stats in The Hague

Have you been to The Hague?

Latest Activity in The Hague