Bunbury Local Custom Tips by robertgaz Top 5 Page for this destination
Bunbury Local Customs: 3 reviews and 13 photos
All over Bunbury's sprawling suburbs each Christmas, residents in a festive mood have dusted off their Santa figures, reindeer statues, nativity scenes, shining stars and millions of fairy lights to proudly decorate their homes inside and out.
The local media have listed participating neighbourhoods so you can make an evening detour to see these shining example of good cheer. There are even competitions to see who has the best Christmas decorated home.
These drive-by tours have become very popular and locals enjoy the spirit of the season by holding neighbour BBQ's and some even hand out lollies to the kids. Some streets are so popular traffic is bumper to bumper but for once no one seems to mind.
Crabbing for Blue Manna Crabs
Blue Manna Crabs live in estuarine waters throughout the South West of Western Australia. Crabbing is a popular local pastime and brings Bunbury's gourmets into local waters to catch this prized delicacy much loved for it's deliciously subtle sweet flesh.
Please take notice of warnings from the Department of Fisheries, Western Australia who aim to maintain crab numbers for future generations by limiting the size and number of crabs taken from Bunbury waters each year.
Locals will jump in their "tinny" (small aluminium boat) and drop crabbing nets over the side or others will wade in knee deep water with scoop nets to catch these crustaceous critters.
On the 26th of January each year Aussies celebrate Australia Day. It's a time for us to enjoy and appreciate what's great about living down under.
This day is celebrated in all states and territories as a public holiday. In Bunbury there are joy rides and entertainment provided along Pat Usher boulevarde near the CBD. As night falls there is a fire works display and live music until late.
For the 2006 celebration Bunbury received a gift of a tall pole with a giant Aussie flag from the Australian Federal Government.
More Reviews (75)
- See All Redbacks
- See All It's on everyone's lips
- See All Roman Catholic Cemetery
- See All Bunbury Courthouse
- See All Surf to Surf Fun Run
robertgaz's Related Pages
Bunbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bunbury, Western Australia"
- "Of Dolphins and Gnomes"
- "Bunbury, not as bad as l thought."
- "Livin in the City"
- "Bunbury - Nice stopover heading south of Perth"
- "When in Bunbury you must see nearby Gnomesville!"
- "Bunbury and its dolphins"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bunbury
- Hotels in Bunbury
- Transportation in Bunbury
- Nightlife in Bunbury
- Restaurants in Bunbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Bunbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bunbury
- 78 Reviews
- 345 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Bunbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bunbury
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 88 reviews, 394 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bunbury Intro, 78 reviews, 345 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 43 reviews, 232 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 57 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gold Coast Intro, 46 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 50 reviews, 176 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 30 reviews, 107 photos
- Stirling Range Intro, 17 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Springbrook Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Queensland Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos