"Collie, Western Australia" Collie by robertgaz
Collie Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 139 photos
I've included my Wellington Dam pages under Collie as this is the closest town. You'll be disappointed if you're seeking tips on Collie because I don't have any. Collie is about 50 km's from Bunbury and is a coal mining town with the Collie Power Station and an alumina refinery nearby.
But about 10km's from Collie is the Wellington Dam which was built in the 1930's and now supplies water used for irrigation. It was once used for drinking water but it's too saline now to consider consuming it. I do suspect that much of this water used for irrigation is filtered through grapes so I probably do end up drinking it anyway!
And at the time of writing these pages the Wellington Dam is overflowing as a result of a very wet winter. It hasn't overflowed since '99 and then about 5 years prior to that.
During springtime around September to October there is also a profusion of wildflowers.
So let me share this irregular yet spectacular event with you.
Update 23/12/08 - added short video vlips of Wellington Dam overflowing in 2005
Near the Dam is an old quarry which is a very pleasant picnic area with free public BBQ facilities provided.
The quarry is also used regularly by abseilers to hone their jumping act
If the picnic area is too crowded you can always take a short drive to Honeymoon Pool
and find a quiet spot down by the river..
Please click on the link for a map to help find your way around Collie more travel advice
Honeymoon Pool is a peaceful camping ground and picnic area a short drive from Wellington Dam. Facilities include... more travel advice
robertgaz's Related Pages
Collie Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Collie
- Hotels in Collie
- Transportation in Collie
- Restaurants in Collie
- Shopping in Collie
- See All...
Explore the World
- Scarborough Junction Hotels
- Cameroon Hotels
- Isla Flamenco Hotels
- Yosemite National Park
- Rosseau Lake Hotels
- Minorca Island
- Pulau Batam Hotels
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
- Pine Hills Hotels
Badges & Stats in Collie
- 7 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Collie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Collie
Photos in CollieSee All Photos (31)
Videos in CollieSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 88 reviews, 394 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bunbury Intro, 78 reviews, 345 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 43 reviews, 232 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 57 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gold Coast Intro, 46 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 50 reviews, 176 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 30 reviews, 107 photos
- Stirling Range Intro, 17 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Springbrook Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Queensland Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos