"Darwin" Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin by robertgaz

Darwin Travel Guide: 685 reviews and 2,050 photos

Darwin and the Top End

Darwin is a very popular holiday destination for us "southerners" to escape our winter blues. Many overseas visitors and backpackers come to Darwin as it is the gateway to world famous Kakadu National Park and also to nearby Litchfield National Park. .

The climate in Darwin is close to perfect between May and October with warm dry days around 30C and mild nights of about 20C. The "green season" from November to April can be more challenging for visitors because of the high humidity, torrential downpours and even the occassional cyclone.

The National Parks can be closed during the wet season with some roads closed due to localised flooding. Also be aware that saltwater crocodiles can inhabit rivers and estuaries and box jellyfish are present in the sea from October to May.

The best swimming advise I got from locals it to do so only where it's tiled... just to be on the safe side from resident "salties".

Darwin is also home of the excellent Museum & Art Gallery of the Northern Territory with Aboriginal Culture, maritime history exhibits and an haunting Cyclone Tracy Gallery.

This link is a great sorce of information with what's happening in Darwin this week

Sundown

Darwin is an absolute paradise for photographers to shoot some stunning sunset pics and a Sunset Harbour Cruise is highly recommended to capture some colourful day's end memories.

Litchfield National Park

Litchfield National Park is the place to experience swimming surrounded by spectacular scenery with stunning waterfalls. The park is about a 90 min drive south of Darwin and is worth spending a full day there to explore it's delightful nooks and crannies.

• Last visit to Darwin: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 12, 2008

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2010 at 8:16 AM

interesting tips. Naming that crocodile sweet heart was such a cute idea.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Nice Tips robert, Will be in Darwin 1st August and visiting Katherine & Kakadu. Looking forward to sme warm weather.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Parks and Sunset when combined is an excellent destination especially for me. This is what I enjoy in most of my trips. My Australia trip will definitely go as planned. Thanks Robert for all the information you are giving me. Very useful and interesting.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Great page. Several memories of our visit some years ago (eg the Cyclone Tracy Gallery) but you've also made me realise how much we DIDN'T see!

• Apr 29, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Great pictures and useful information!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Great tips and beaut pics of this unique city in the middle of nowhere! I've always had a desire to visit myself, but your page was the next best thing! Ah yes, I remember watching some exciting Aussie Rules games while living in Papua.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2007 at 6:40 PM

The National Park looks like my kind of place, after I've made sure no sweethearts are lurking around.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Hi Robert = came back to see the bits I missed :) wouldn't want to encounter your sweetheart!!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 12:46 AM

Ah, so this is where little Nobby will be next year ! Haha, I hope he won't get eaten by a croc, the croc might need a doc later on, lol :-)

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Do you suppose the guy who drowned 'his' sweetheart had an old Flame called Tracey? Nice pages, as interesting as always.

robertgaz

“My WAy's the byWAys of W.A.'s highWAys...”

Badges & Stats in Darwin