"Western Australia's Secret South." Top 5 Page for this destination Esperance by robertgaz

Esperance Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 208 photos

Esperance - Bay of Isles

The first navigator to discover this part of the south coast was a Dutchman, Pieter Nuijts who in 1627 sailed past aboard the vessel Gulde Zeepaard (Golden Seahorse) and charted the area. In 1792 the French vessel L'Esperance sought shelter from a storm in the area they named Esperance Bay.

Esperance is famous for its pristine wilderness, stunning white beaches, National Parks and its friendly unhurried pace. This south east region has some of WA's most spectacular coastal scenery, beaches, islands and magnificent national parks.

There are sparkling beaches, a pink lake and temperate year-round climate as well as beautiful wildflowers and plenty of fauna. Discover the beauty of Cape Le Grand National Park, explore Woody Island or go swimming at Twilight Beach.

Twilight Beach

Twilight Cove is only a 10 minute drive from the Esperance townsite. It's a pretty spot where you can go fishing or swimming.

There's a Surf Lifesaving Club at the western end of the beach near the main car park but no shelters so bring a beach umbrella, sunscreen, a shirt and hat.

It is possible to swim to the rock in the attached picture but there are strong tides and undertows so this should only be attempted by strong swimmers.

Museum Park Period Village

A good starting point for any visit to Esperance is the Tourist Office which is located within the Museum Park Period Village in Dempster Street.

The Bureau has maps and books about the area and they provide information about local attractions, accommodation, horse rides, fishing charters, diving charters, fishing and diving supplies, island cruise operators, whale-watching cruises (late May to late October), walking and cycling pathways, hiking guides, windsurfing specialists, areas for viewing native wildflowers, scenic flights, abseiling guides, cycle hire, canoe and aqua bike hire, local art galleries and studios, 4WD and other sightseeing tours, car rentals and local events such as the annual show (October), the Angling Classic (February), the Wildflower Show (September) and the biennial Festival of the Wind (November).

Update 23/12/08 - added short video clips

• Pros:Fantastic scenery with a relaxed, uncrowded style.
  • Cons:Esperance is a small, remote town and often there is not much to do at night time.
  • In a nutshell:A great place to unwind where time slows down to an unhurried pace.
  • Last visit to Esperance: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 22, 2008

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2009 at 3:07 PM

A cool place to visit is Esperance. I especially like the Pink Lake and the proteas at Telegraph Farm.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2008 at 5:56 AM

Looks a great place to visit - beautiful coastal scenery, and Telegraph Farm sounds very interesting. Thanks for checking out my Karlsruhe photos BTW

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2008 at 7:00 AM

Love the pink lake picture. Great place to visit. :-)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2008 at 8:04 AM

I'm here now, even as I write!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Oh my, what a stunning place!!! Wonderful photos Robert! I guess I'll be dreaming of Esperance for at least the rest of the day; wish I was there right NOW :-)))

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM

Fantastic pictures! First I thought the pink lake were clouds in the first sun rays, then I realized it's water.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Thank you Robert; you made my day. Knome one but you could do that! Now can I have one of those beaches to chill out on? I need a holiday! Janet

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2008 at 6:46 AM

The Esperance area looks like a beautiful tropical spot to get away from it all! I can see why it took top honours in the beaches competition. I could use some of that sun and sand right now!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 6:54 PM

To me Esperance means hope; so I hope to jump one day in these waters! I will not try the sandboarding. . . Snowboarding in Jackson, better for me!

• imstress's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 10:50 PM

I finally make it to Esperance! :)

robertgaz

“My WAy's the byWAys of W.A.'s highWAys...”

Badges & Stats in Esperance

Have you been to Esperance?

Latest Activity in Esperance