"Hinchinbrook Island" Hinchinbrook Island by robertgaz

Hinchinbrook Island Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 16 photos

Hinchinbrook Island

Lying off the coast of north tropical Queensland, Hinchinbrook is Australia's largest island national park. It is an area of breathtaking beauty with lush tropical forests and granite peaks rising 1000m out of the sea above unspoilt golden beaches and sandy bays.

There is a small luxury resort on the northern tip of Hinchinbrook Island which lies outside the national park area. Camping on the island is by permit only and numbers are restricted to protect the pristine environment.

The pages that follow are from one of my favourite holidays when I paddled 90km's from the southern tip of Hinchinbrook to South Mission Beach with World Expeditions in 1992.

For continuity of this expedition you would need to start here at Hinchinbrook, then to Goold Island, followed by Wheeler Island before finishing at South Mission Beach.

The narrative and pictures probably don't do enough justice to the magnificence of Hinchinbrook and the pure joy of the journey. I'm trawling my memory for the right words and unfortunately there were no digital cameras back then with to capture those thousand images. I may just need to make this trip again ;~)

Day 1 - Meet at Cairns early morning for a two hour drive south to Lucinda. After a safety briefing and lunch we practise our paddling skills before heading a short distance across the channel to Hinchinbrook
Island. The first camp for the night is at Mulligans Bay.

Day 2 - Paddle from southern Hinchinbrook and head around huge cliffs to picturesque Zoe Bay. A small hike through the luxuriant forests to the base of Zoe Creek Falls where we had lunch before taking a dip in the large crystal clear pool. After topping up our water bottles from Zoe Creek we head back to the beach and then paddle a little further on to camp near Agnes Island.

Days 3/4 - Paddling up the eastern shores of Hinchinbrook Island gives us sensational views of the rugged granite crags of Mt Bowen (1142 metres). After paddling the 8km length of Ramsey Beach we round Cape Sandwich and camp in the sheltered waters of Sunset Beach.

From here, the journey continues to the very off the beaten track to the absolutely gorgeous Goold Island...

• Last visit to Hinchinbrook Island: Sep 1992
  • Intro Updated Jun 16, 2008

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Hey great trip matey! Hubby & Zig are doing a hike there this September after the big vt meet in the Whitsundays. I'm sure they'll love it! Cheers, Ann :o)

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Definitely sounds like a great trip! Did you see any crocs on Hinchinbrook?

• Jul 7, 2008 at 3:09 AM

I also love sea, Islands and beaches! My country have a lot! Nice page!

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Sound like a nice thing to do over the weekend. Thanks for sharing. :-)

• Jun 17, 2008 at 10:12 PM

so this was a world expeditions voyage gaz? how did you find this company? hinchy looks like a lovely place to explore!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 8:06 AM

An exciting trip to a lovely place!!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Ahh, this is something I'd like to do one day - kayaing in this gorgeous landscape :-))

• missmarianne's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 7:29 PM

wow Rob...! that's so soso inviting haaah! wait for our cagbalete pages..!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Secluded and pristine. Sounds like my kind of place, Robert. Thanks for the heads-up on these pages. :)

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 5:56 PM

That is very nice Robert ,I better pay more attention to Aussie pictures and nice locations near the Gold Coast because it looks like we will be there next year in September Thanks for sharing Robert

robertgaz

“My WAy's the byWAys of W.A.'s highWAys...”

Badges & Stats in Hinchinbrook Island

Have you been to Hinchinbrook Island?

Latest Activity in Hinchinbrook Island