"Springbrook National Park" Springbrook by robertgaz

Springbrook Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 119 photos

One Perfect Day

Most days start out more or less the same as any other and the 2nd of October 2006 wasn’t too much different other than a loose plan to do some bushwalking around Springbrook National Park which is about a 45min drive from the Gold Coast.

Not knowing this area well I had a vague idea of which walking trails I might tackle but I wanted to be on the scene to check out the lay of the land and make some decisions from there.

I parked my hire car at Canyon Lookout and pulled out some maps to see what’s where and how to get there. Canyon Lookout spoils visitors with outstanding views of Twin Falls, Rainbow Falls and also back to the Gold Coast on a clear day.

So it wasn’t long before some tourists pulled up and poured out of their bus. Efficiently and quickly they vied for the best positions for a photo shoot which lasted about 10min and they sped off down the hill again.

Meanwhile, I was still deciding where to go but I had managed to slop on some sunscreen and slap on a hat in preparation for the walk ahead. But before going anywhere I also wanted to take some photos of the high falls across the deep valley.

As I was framing some shots a grey haired couple came alongside and stood quietly admiring the scenery. After a few minutes they asked me if I was going to do some walking and where to. Because my plans were still formulating I ambiguously suggested most probably the Twin Falls Circuit.

The gentleman then suggested I try the Warrie Circuit instead because it included much of the Twin Falls Circuit as well. This attracted my attention as he gave the impression of someone who knew the area so I asked him a few more questions.

As it turned out the gentleman was a treasure trove of local information. He said he lived just down the road and walks the Warrie Circuit at least twice a year and he had in fact written a book as a contribution to the centenary celebrations of European settlement at Springbrook in 1906.

I was above average interested in what he had written so I asked him where these books are sold and he pointed to the café across the road. Never one to miss an opportunity I said I’d buy one if they autographed it for me which they cheerfully obliged.

The day was still unfolding and already someone had blessed it by the unexpected but welcome presence of Colin and Jane Crisp. Please read on to find out more about one perfect day for me.

• Pros:Waterfalls, rainforests, animals and plants
  • Cons:Absolutely nothing
  • In a nutshell:Serenity
  • Last visit to Springbrook: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 14, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Love this area, its so pretty. Haven't been there for a couple of years, time for a trip back, especially now that we have had some rain.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Those falls really amazed me. Springbrook is the kind of place I always want to visit. Still am a nature lover.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 6:35 PM

stunning natural beauty. Absolutely the type of place that we enjoy spending time, Robert.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2008 at 12:12 PM

What fantastic scenery! The falls are just beautiful, and your thorough account really does this place justice :) Great to see the echidna too!

• Jun 9, 2008 at 4:45 AM

I am in love with waterfalls! i always visit!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Love your ode to a black Wolf Robert & so many falls around here :) makes for an excellent walk down under!!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2007 at 3:39 AM

I can really understand your son, tickling the snake. What a piece of luck!! And hat-snatching trees, strange creatures you have down under...

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 8:33 PM

It was great traveling with you here...nice to be back! I'll check your other pages next time. Take care! (Let's have that virtual Antonio Gina's morning tea)

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2007 at 3:24 PM

That is a nice place Robert! Iwould like a lot to walk there. Almost as many waterfalls as in the Pyrenees! And there is some life on the trails . Very nice page Robert, nice to share.

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Wow, what a pretty place! Thanks for the great tips.

robertgaz

“My WAy's the byWAys of W.A.'s highWAys...”

Badges & Stats in Springbrook

Have you been to Springbrook?

Latest Activity in Springbrook