"Stirling Range National Park" Stirling Range by robertgaz
Stirling Range Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 94 photos
The Stirling Range is a range of small mountains and hills in the Great Southern region of WA and is located about 337km's south east of Perth.
It is over 60kms wide and includes the popular tourist attraction of Bluff Knoll which is the tallest peak for a thousand kilometers in any direction.
The Stirling Ranges is rich in flora with over 1,500 plant species, 87 of which are found nowhere else in the world. This is more than a third of the known flora of the southwest.
The Stirling Range is protected by the Stirling Range National Park which was gazetted in 1913. Popular recreational activities in the park include bushwalking, abseiling and gliding.
It's one of my favourite spots in WA particularly during spring when the park is ablaze with beautiful wildflowers.
This is also the only place in WA which regularly sees snow. Usually only once a year during mid winter. But you will need to be up early to see it because the snow melts quickly as the sun gets up.
There are 7 peaks that can be climbed as well as the Stirling Ridge Walk which offers the only alpine walking in WA.
The Stirling Ridge Walk involves narrow ledges and very steep ascents and descents and a lot of scrambling over jagged rocks and through sharp bush.
The trail is unmarked and very easy to lose and a compass course may be necessary. Come prepared!
It usually involves two nights camping under the stars so walkers must carry all their gear with them. There is no camping ground with mod cons or facilities.
If you're on a tight budget or you just want to spend your nights close to nature you can rent an unpowered tent site... more travel advice
Stay on established paths. Use only fuel stoves at bush campsites. Where there are no toilets, bury toilet waste more... more travel advice
robertgaz's Related Pages
Stirling Range Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Stirling Range
- Hotels in Stirling Range
- Transportation in Stirling Range
- Nightlife in Stirling Range
- Restaurants in Stirling Range
- Warnings and Dangers in Stirling Range
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stirling Range
- 17 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Stirling Range?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stirling Range
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 88 reviews, 394 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bunbury Intro, 78 reviews, 345 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 43 reviews, 232 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 57 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gold Coast Intro, 46 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 50 reviews, 176 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 30 reviews, 107 photos
- Stirling Range Intro, 17 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Springbrook Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Queensland Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos