"Stirling Range National Park" Stirling Range by robertgaz

Stirling Range Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 94 photos

Magnificent Mountain Walks

The Stirling Range is a range of small mountains and hills in the Great Southern region of WA and is located about 337km's south east of Perth.

It is over 60kms wide and includes the popular tourist attraction of Bluff Knoll which is the tallest peak for a thousand kilometers in any direction.

The Stirling Ranges is rich in flora with over 1,500 plant species, 87 of which are found nowhere else in the world. This is more than a third of the known flora of the southwest.

The Stirling Range is protected by the Stirling Range National Park which was gazetted in 1913. Popular recreational activities in the park include bushwalking, abseiling and gliding.

It's one of my favourite spots in WA particularly during spring when the park is ablaze with beautiful wildflowers.

This is also the only place in WA which regularly sees snow. Usually only once a year during mid winter. But you will need to be up early to see it because the snow melts quickly as the sun gets up.

There are 7 peaks that can be climbed as well as the Stirling Ridge Walk which offers the only alpine walking in WA.

The Stirling Ridge Walk involves narrow ledges and very steep ascents and descents and a lot of scrambling over jagged rocks and through sharp bush.

The trail is unmarked and very easy to lose and a compass course may be necessary. Come prepared!

It usually involves two nights camping under the stars so walkers must carry all their gear with them. There is no camping ground with mod cons or facilities.

• Last visit to Stirling Range: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 7, 2008

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Fantastic page Robert!! I love the wildflowers :o) ...."There is no danger music to warn you"...love your sense of humour mate!! haha. Hugs, Ann.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Great page, hopefully will get here one day!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Walks up Bluff Knoll and Mount Trio looks like a fantastic way to spend a day enjoying nature and anyone who succeeds also gets their exercise too! Beaut photos of these peaks and the surrounding area. Excellent information in your tips!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2009 at 12:35 PM

A natural paradise = good thing all is covered by the rules on waste managment :) glad to know I don't have to lug a rock with me to add to the Cairn!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Great page, brought back memories, even though I've never been to WA. The rapeseed fields remind me of southern Germany, the sheep crossing reminded me of Iceland. Happy New Year, mate.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2008 at 7:03 PM

great to see such a sheep-crossing, it reminds me of a situation in Ireland, where my car was surrounded by hundreds of sheep ;-)

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Beautiful photos. :-) Have a Blessed Christmas. :-)

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I like mountains and the morning fog atmosphere; a very nice place here, I had no idea it exists; merci Robert. I, of course would not pick one of the beautiful flowers. Oh! and I know now, where your portrait comes from the Stirling Range.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2008 at 3:07 AM

I love the scenery - your misty photos are particularly atmospheric (literally, I guess!) This looks a wonderful spot, and I liked your nightlife tip especially - it sounds just perfect :-)

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Great tips Robert. Enjoy those climbs while the limbs are young!

robertgaz

“My WAy's the byWAys of W.A.'s highWAys...”

Badges & Stats in Stirling Range

Have you been to Stirling Range?