"Yallingup" Yallingup by robertgaz
Yallingup Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 43 photos
Cape Naturaliste is at the northern tip of the South West peninsula and was named after the French corvette "Naturaliste" which, in 1801, together with the "Geographe", explored and mapped much of the West Australian coast, under the command of Captain Nicholas Baudin.
The Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse is open daily for tours with spectacular views over the Cape and Indian from the top. It can get mighty windy at the top so hang on to your hat!
There's a small car park past the Bunker Bay Resort (at the end of the road). From there it is a 45 minute walk to Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse. Much of this northern end of the track follows an undulating but fairly level cliff top path, typically 50-60 metres above sea level. There are spectacular coastal views with a great vantage point from the Whale Lookout. You can see southern right, humpback and pygmy blue whales on their migratory route to and from Antarctica each year. October to November is a good time as you can see the calves with the herd on their way south for summer.
Maps of the region can be purchased from the Department of Conservation and Land Management offices in Busselton (Tel: 08-9752 1677) or Margaret River (Tel: 08-9757 2322).
There are superb beaches at Meelup, Eagle Bay and Bunker Bay offering swimming, snorkelling and fishing. Meelup Beach is particularly good for families as there are BBQ's, toilet facilities and shady picnic areas with children's play areas. It has an excellent soft white sandy beach with crystal clear water on a fine sunny day.
- Pros:Quiet coves, sandy beaches and nature reserves with scenic walk trails.
- Cons:Limited accessible water - carry at least 2 litres per person.
- In a nutshell:Magical coastal and forest scenery amongst the wineries.
The Indian Ocean along the South West Cape region can be very treacherous and many unsuspecting visitors have been swept... more travel advice
The Wicked Ale Brewery is a micro-brewery with a difference. Try their Chilli Beer, Bad Frog Citrus Beer, Wheat Beer,... more travel advice
robertgaz's Related Pages
Yallingup Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yallingup "Place of Love""
- "Canal Rocks, Yallingup, Caves."
- "Yallingup is famous for it's surfing beach."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yallingup
- Hotels in Yallingup
- Transportation in Yallingup
- Restaurants in Yallingup
- Shopping in Yallingup
- Warnings and Dangers in Yallingup
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Yallingup
- 12 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Yallingup?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yallingup
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 88 reviews, 394 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bunbury Intro, 78 reviews, 345 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 43 reviews, 232 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 57 reviews, 215 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gold Coast Intro, 46 reviews, 203 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 50 reviews, 176 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 30 reviews, 107 photos
- Stirling Range Intro, 17 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Springbrook Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Queensland Intro, 19 reviews, 83 photos