"Singapura" Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore by robertgaz

Singapore Travel Guide: 4,602 reviews and 10,518 photos

Singapore City

I have many fond memories from all my visits to Singapore and it has become almost like a second home to me. I can find my way around here much better than some cities down under.

My first experience here was in 1969 as an eight year old enroute to Perth from Amsterdam. This was only as a brief stopover to change flights but even way back then I remember the airport as a hub of much activity with people coming, going and selling.

Between 1983 and 2008 I have visited Singapore some eight times either as a destination in itself or as a brief stopover when going to someplace else.

My recollections are of a city full of friendly faces, fine foods and fun filled days. My latest trip was no exception.

As with my 2005 visit, I was able to catch up with some great VT'ers and share some local experiences that you won't find on any day trip provided by tour operators.

No sooner had I been dropped off at the Queen Street Terminal, after arriving from Malaysia, and I was looking at my map to get my bearings when someone stopped to offer some assistance.

This happened three times in the space of about half an hour while trying to find directions to my hotel. In fact, one gentleman stopped to help at a red light for a pedestrian crossing.

In the time that it took for him to explain directions to me the light had gone green and then red again. While waiting for the light to turn green again, I apologised to him for having missed his opportunity to cross but he just smiled and replied "No problems!".

I do love this city :~)

Singapore Zoo

Take a walk on the wild side at Singapore Zoo

Jurong Bird Park

Or chat up some flighty birds at Jurong Birdpark

• Pros:Clean, orderly and friendly locals.
  • Cons:Sometimes you forget all those rules!
  • In a nutshell:A fine, fine place to visit.
  • Last visit to Singapore: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 16, 2008

• Penelope4's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 5:00 AM

Thanks a lot! Your tips are very helpful. Kind regards from Kabul.

• allelli's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2009 at 9:57 AM

next time visiting singapore I make top of my list your restaurant tips, thanks for the information

• Jul 31, 2009 at 2:04 AM

You are absolutely right about Komala Vilas. My wife and I went twice in 1 week, each time having the jalfrezi curry with freshly-made nans - just wonderful!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 3:32 AM

Hi Robert, returned to your pages again, interesting about the licorice, have you introduced vegemite to the locals. Mike

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2008 at 3:26 AM

I enjoyed my 2nd "visit" to Singapore with you :-) Beautifula orchid photos and Bukit Chadu looks very moving. Good accommodation tips too. I'll be back for even more!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Nice new & exciting things to do since I last looked Robert = maybe one day if I travel down under I can have stop here!!

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2008 at 4:16 AM

Robert my friend...your great tips never seem to end! Oh Great travling man, take me to Sinapore with you, if you can. Greetings from my sunny flat in Anavissos. Janet

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 10:23 PM

an interesting page, Robert, and a lot of great updates again since my last visit !

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Great updates here Robert! Might be going to Singapore soon...

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Wonderful updates Robert! All these parks and gardens in Singapore! Peace in the city! I know where to go next time I pass by. And the food, of course, I get almost hungry now. . . . :)) Cheers from cold Europe!

robertgaz

“My WAy's the byWAys of W.A.'s highWAys...”

Badges & Stats in Singapore

Have you been to Singapore?

Latest Activity in Singapore