"Place of Great Noise" Augrabies Falls National Park by Kanjoo
Augrabies Falls National Park Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 60 photos
the word “augrabis” came from Bushmen language who use to say it “akoerabis” which mean the place of great noise… they say it’s the world’s 6th largest water fall and during the flood time the water comes out of 19 different places and it pours more water than Victoria falls per second… its located less than 3 hours drive from upintgton and almost 40 kilos from the town of Kakamas from N14 (one of the main highway in northern cape)… although the information office will tell you that you may be able to see animals like black rhinos, springboks and gemsboks and also they have alarmed everywhere about baboons: be careful of them or must not feed them and keep etc. but i didn’t see anything instead of some squirrels, they call them “Dassis” here … water is falling from almost 50 meter hight and making very beautiful view and thundering noise as its name… and trees or i rather say plants like kokerboom or koker trees can also be seen… But one must be careful and ready for mosquitoes and flies… they have 5 km (1 hour) trail called “arrow point” and ideal time is in evening to do it.. it takes you all along the falls and canyon… they have got some other short walking trails as well but I didn’t do anything else and also one guided hiking trail called “klipspringer hiking trail” for 3 days but only in winters.. they got swimming pools but perhaps nobody ever tried to swim for long time becuz the water was green… information/reception and restaurant is located very close to view point but waterfall is not visible from there, one has to walk half a kilometer to get to view point… after main reception area there is no tar road, all the inside roads are gravels… if one is traveling from upington side, there are two very beautiful towns Kakamas and Kiemoes can be explored and there are few wineries/cellars also located around the road on both sides of orange river; can be visited…
Kanjoo's Related Pages
Augrabies Falls National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Augrabies Falls National Park"
- "Dassies, waterfall, canyons and rocks"
- "Augrabies in summer"
- "Augrabies Falls"
- "Place of Great Noise"
- "Augrabies Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Augrabies Falls National Park
- Hotels in Augrabies Falls National Park
- Transportation in Augrabies Falls National Park
- Restaurants in Augrabies Falls National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Augrabies Falls National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Augrabies Falls National Park
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Augrabies Falls National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Augrabies Falls National Park
Photos in Augrabies Falls National ParkSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bloemfontein Intro, 56 reviews, 130 photos
- Afghanistan Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Luang Prabang Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Lesotho Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Rahim Yar Khan Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Mariental Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Augrabies Falls National Park Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Zahedan Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Uch Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos