"Zanzibar - an air of spices" Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Island by cafank

Zanzibar Island Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 642 photos

There is a romantic air in Stone Town

It may not have a particularly romantic name, but Stone Town, old city and cultural heart of Zanzibar could be a romantic place to visit.

There are winding alleys, markets, bazaars, mosques and grand Arab houses. There are beautiful brass-studded, carved, wooden doors and apparently there are hundres of unique designs.

I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around Old Town for several days - despite the heat. There was lots to see and do.

Stone Town was recently declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

Wonderful old buildings

Most of the houses were built in the 19th century and many are in bad repair.
Renovations are slowly taking place and the original coraline rock is being used.

Most hotels are in renovated buildings.

Take a tour or get a map and wander around the historic buildings.

Zanzibar and Ramadan

We were on Zanzibar during Ramadan and as Zanzibar is 98% Moslem we did have to make some allowances and behave in a respectful manner due the season.

During daylight hours of Ramadan the faithful may not eat, drink, smoke - or have sex.As a matter of respect we did not eat on the streets but we did carry water and drink this. Many restaurants and food shops also closed until after sundown so finding food during this time can be a bit of a challenge - tho'many open up for the tourists - there is just no food on the streets..

• Pros:Everything was wonderful on the "Spice Island".
  • Cons:You need to remember to dress respectfully
  • In a nutshell:A wonderful island for old and new, beaches and spices
  • Last visit to Zanzibar Island: Sep 2009
  • Intro Written Mar 2, 2010

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I have always been fascinated by Zanzibar but have never been anywhere in Africa. Your page is fascinating.

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2010 at 3:34 AM

Zanzibar has always been of my list of 'must-go's. I read Princess Salmes book too. Nice well written pages!

• JennysTravels's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I've always wanted to go to Zanzibar! You've just taken me there. Great tips, thank you! Happy Travels.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Nice tips Cheryl!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM

On my (never-ending) list ever since reading "Stand on Zanzibar" by John Brunner. Good hotel tip. Cheers, John.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I love Zanzibar, awesome place.

cafank

“I have fallen in love with the world…the most dangerous lover of them all.”

Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Island

Have you been to Zanzibar Island?