"Zanzibar - an air of spices" Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Island by cafank
Zanzibar Island Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 641 photos
It may not have a particularly romantic name, but Stone Town, old city and cultural heart of Zanzibar could be a romantic place to visit.
There are winding alleys, markets, bazaars, mosques and grand Arab houses. There are beautiful brass-studded, carved, wooden doors and apparently there are hundres of unique designs.
I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around Old Town for several days - despite the heat. There was lots to see and do.
Stone Town was recently declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Most of the houses were built in the 19th century and many are in bad repair.
Renovations are slowly taking place and the original coraline rock is being used.
Most hotels are in renovated buildings.
Take a tour or get a map and wander around the historic buildings.
We were on Zanzibar during Ramadan and as Zanzibar is 98% Moslem we did have to make some allowances and behave in a respectful manner due the season.
During daylight hours of Ramadan the faithful may not eat, drink, smoke - or have sex.As a matter of respect we did not eat on the streets but we did carry water and drink this. Many restaurants and food shops also closed until after sundown so finding food during this time can be a bit of a challenge - tho'many open up for the tourists - there is just no food on the streets..
- Pros:Everything was wonderful on the "Spice Island".
- Cons:You need to remember to dress respectfully
- In a nutshell:A wonderful island for old and new, beaches and spices
This is the thing to do apparently - "everyone" goes to Africa House to watch the sunset. I had never seen so much... more travel advice
A great activity if you are one who gets up early. And it need to be at sunrise. On the beach almost to the northern... more travel advice
cafank's Related Pages
Zanzibar Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zanzibar - an air of spices"
- "WELCOME TO PARADISE ISLAND ! JAMBO !!!"
- "Zanzibar - Paradise with a Twist"
- "Across the island to paradise"
- "Matemwe Beach"
- "Stunning Zanzibar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zanzibar Island
- Hotels in Zanzibar Island
- Transportation in Zanzibar Island
- Restaurants in Zanzibar Island
- Shopping in Zanzibar Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Zanzibar Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Island
- 19 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Zanzibar Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zanzibar Island
Photos in Zanzibar IslandSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Rockhampton Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Charleville Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos
- Gladstone Intro, 19 reviews, 50 photos
- Melaka Intro, 25 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Island Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 24 reviews, 16 photos
- Biloela Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos
- Mundubbera Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Cape Town 5 reviews, 11 photos