"Driving Tours in Queensland" State of Queensland by cafank
State of Queensland Travel Guide: 8,098 reviews and 20,053 photos
I was going out to Charleville to work so decided I would make a tour of this area and the towns on the way as I had never been in this area before. What a wonderful few days on the road.
You do need a car if you want to head out this way, so many places are "just off the highway" or even a bit out of the way but they are so worth seeing.
From my home town in Tweed Heads, NSW I travelled to Toowoomba and then began my travel West.
The towns I visited include: Dalby, Miles, Chinchilla , Roma, Amby, Mitchell, Mungalla and Morven. There were a couple of whistle stops on the way - towns with one shop or pub and not much else. If I had had more time I would've visited more of the tiny settelments stil surving out her in south-west Queensland.
Queensland is such a vast state, you really do need a car to see anything but the major tourist spots which are mostly on the coastal roads. Public transport is difficult - but not impossible - to get you to some wonderful places.
On this trip I went north through Brisbane, turned west after Gympie and began a wonderful journey through some rich, fertile fruit growing country, cattle country and then in to mining territory. I went across to the coast at Galdstone and returned back through the inland roads to enjoy what country Queensland had to offer. You could have a pleasant week or more doing this trip.
Towns visited on this tour were: Kilkivan, Goomeri, Tansey, Gayndah, Mundubberra, Eidsvold, Monto, Biloela, Galdstone and some other smaller towns.
The scenery changes, the weather changes but it is wonderful country and the people I met made it even more so.
- Pros:The vastness of the state, the changing scenes each day
- Cons:You need a car to see the heart of Queensland
- In a nutshell:Wonderful countryside, wonderful people, great sights to see
cafank's Related Pages
State of Queensland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queensland the Place to Be"
- "♫ HERE COMES THE SUN! ♫ ♫"
- "The Sunshine State"
- "The State of Queensland"
- "AMBERLEY AIR SHOW 2008"
- "Australia Zoo - Aussie animals"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Queensland
- Hotels in State of Queensland
- Transportation in State of Queensland
- Nightlife in State of Queensland
- Restaurants in State of Queensland
- Shopping in State of Queensland
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Queensland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in State of Queensland
- 105 Reviews
- 259 Photos
- 47 Forum posts
- 15 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to State of Queensland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Queensland
Top 10 Pages
- Rockhampton Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Charleville Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos
- Gladstone Intro, 19 reviews, 50 photos
- Melaka Intro, 25 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Island Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 24 reviews, 16 photos
- Biloela Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos
- Mundubbera Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Cape Town 5 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Top State of Queensland hotels
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 845 Reviews - 1806 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1596 Reviews - 3435 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Mackay Hotels
- 74 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 863 Reviews - 2188 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 129 Reviews - 401 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 107 Photos
- Airlie Beach Hotels
- 185 Reviews - 726 Photos
- Rockhampton Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Hayman Island Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Townsville Hotels
- 81 Reviews - 149 Photos
- Moreton Island Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 67 Photos
- Mooloolaba Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 379 Photos
- Magnetic Island Hotels
- 79 Reviews - 120 Photos