"Chinchilla - Melon Capital of the World..." Chinchilla by cafank
Chinchilla Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 27 photos
...or so they say. The next melon Festival will be in 2011 in February.
Chinchilla is about 300 kilometres from Brisbane, on the Warrego Highway. It's a small, but thriving community reliant mainly on grain crops but now also has growing coal and gas exploration and power station development projects .
"The town of Chinchilla itself boasts many services and amenities, while retaining its rustic charm and character" ...... so says the tourist brochure, and the people I spoke to all love living in the area so it must be true!
Population is about 3,500, so there is a small but vibrant shopping centre (but you have to get off the Highway to find it) and the town is growing thanks to the new industries developing in the surrounding districts.
Chinchilla is either a good place to stop-over, or for a good rest break if you are driving to or from the outback.
There are a lot of things you can spend time on if you are staying for a couple of days. Fishing is big at the weir, there are many Tourist Drives including one which takes you out to the power station.
You can fossick for petrified wood, see the Dingo Barrier fence (the longest man-made barrier in the world) or just wander around the district seeing all of the local landmarks.
Another warning: if you are driving through this area there can be major flooding on all roads and Highways, particularly Jan - March - always check the weather before you go. The
It doesn't happen every year but I missed out on being stranded by one day!
- Pros:A typical, beautiful, Queensland country town
- In a nutshell:A lovely place for a break on a road trip
There are many small antigue shops, galleries and similar shops in this area. This one, Simply Indulgent, I found not... more travel advice
A beautiful old building on the edge of the main shopping street. Well worth a visit for a 'coldie' or meal. The food is... more travel advice
cafank's Related Pages
Chinchilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""THE WATERMELON CAPITAL OF QUEENSLAND""
- "Chinchilla - Melon Capital of the World..."
- "Melon Capital, that's about it!"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chinchilla
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Chinchilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chinchilla
Photos in ChinchillaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Rockhampton Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Charleville Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos
- Gladstone Intro, 19 reviews, 50 photos
- Melaka Intro, 25 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Island Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 24 reviews, 16 photos
- Biloela Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos
- Mundubbera Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Cape Town 5 reviews, 11 photos