"Gayndah: The oldest town in Queensland" Gayndah by cafank
Gayndah Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 52 photos
Gayndah is located about 2 1/2 hours drive inland from the coastal cities of Bundaberg and Maryborough and about 360K's from Brisbane.
Gayndah was first settled in 1849 is said to be the oldest town in Queensland and it is has maintained some old fashioned charm. It is said that Gayndah was once even trying to be the capital of Queensland so there is a lot of history in this town.
Sheep and mining brought settlers into the area, but it was the rich volcanic soils and plenty of sunshine that set the area up as a prime citrus growing centre.
There is plenty to do for a day or more if you want to really experience the town and surrounding areas.
There are many historic buildings lining the main street - representing Edwardian, Federation and Art Deco styles.
Several buildings have been heritage listed and a must see is Mellors Drapery which is one of the few builings in Australia which still uses a "flying fox" to deal with transactions. I didn't have my camera with me when I saw this wonderful contraption.
A memorial windmill can be found just behind the main street, next to a park. Interesting for the kids - a bit of... more travel advice
cafank's Related Pages
Gayndah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE OLDEST TOWN IN QUEENSLAND!"
- "Gayndah: The oldest town in Queensland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gayndah
- Hotels in Gayndah
- Shopping in Gayndah
- Warnings and Dangers in Gayndah
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gayndah
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Gayndah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gayndah
Top 10 Pages
- Rockhampton Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Charleville Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos
- Gladstone Intro, 19 reviews, 50 photos
- Melaka Intro, 25 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Island Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 24 reviews, 16 photos
- Biloela Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos
- Mundubbera Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Cape Town 5 reviews, 11 photos