"Rockhampton: Beef Capital of Australia" Rockhampton by cafank

Rockhampton Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 152 photos

It's not all about beef...

...but beef cattle have been the lifeblood of this inland city the city's wealth is largely based on the cattle industry. Rockhampton, affectionally known as "Rocky", has always been known as the 'Beef Capital of Australia".

Around Rockhampton, more than three million cattle roam among the gum trees, and at local pubs, steak sandwiches and barbecued snags are a local speciality.

Rockhampton is located on the Tropic of Capricorn and is a gateway to both the Coast and the Outback. It's an ideal stopoff to see some true Australian cattle country, experience some outback living and then head to the coast and visit a Great Barrier Reef Island.

So much to see and do

I wasn't sure if I would enjoy my first visit to Rockhampton after a gap of about 30 years. I had read a lot of reviews saying that it is a rather boring place - and for young ones it may well be so.

For those of us a few years older - I think you will find as much enjoyment as I did (I have been back 3 times over the past 6 weeks and will go again shortly). There is also a lot to see and do for families and many activites and sights are free of charge.

I loved the parks and gardens, it was lovely getting so close to koalas at the zoo and I really enjoyed my morning at the cattle auctions.

There are so many places of interest within a short drive away - and you really do need a car in this area.

A taste of local life: new and old

In the centre of town, the famous Great Western Hotel which has bull riding in its own backyard bullring. If you have never seen this check it out, riders from all over Australia have competitions and rodeos almost every weekend.

The heritage village is great. I was lucky enough to be driven around the village. Great place for kids too, lots to see and do and interactive.

• Pros:Lots to see and do, friendly locals
  • Cons:You do need transport to really see this area
  • In a nutshell:More than just cattle and beef
  • Last visit to Rockhampton: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 16, 2010

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2010 at 3:30 AM

Time for some 'Rocky' pics and stories, eh, Cheryl. Another great Queensland town - and there are lots.! (I just love Warwick and surrounds.) Laurie.

cafank

“I have fallen in love with the world…the most dangerous lover of them all.”

Badges & Stats in Rockhampton

Have you been to Rockhampton?

Latest Activity in Rockhampton