"Introduction" Top 5 Page for this destination Macao by p_yenyen
Macao Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 586 photos
Macao locates at the mouth of the Pearl River downstream from Guangzhou, so it was called "Ou Mun" which means trading gate in chinese. During the ancient times, port city was part of the silk road with ships loading here. Guangzhou then prospered from sea borne business with the countries of SEA. Therefore, many portugese merchant explorers landed in Macao and set about findng suitable trading posts.
When the portuguese reached "Ou Mun" and asked the locals aout the name of this place, the locals misunderstood that they would like to know about the A Ma Temple. It is pronounced as "Ma Gao " in cantonese, which they built for worshipping the gooddess of Seafarers A-Ma. Therefore the portugese adopted the name, which gradually changed into a Portugues name "Macau" (Macao in english).
This is a city where eastern and western influences have met and continue to coexist in harmony.
The locals ad environments are a combination with two cultures, the portuguese and the chinese.
This place is very famous in its crab porridge, and noodle too. Should try this restaurant when the next time you will... more travel advice
p_yenyen's Related Pages
Macao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Á-Má-Gao" - [Macau]"
- "Welcome to Macao!"
- ">> enchanting macau "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Macao
- Hotels in Macao
- Transportation in Macao
- Nightlife in Macao
- Restaurants in Macao
- Shopping in Macao
- Warnings and Dangers in Macao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Macao
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Macao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macao
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 15 photos, 3 travelogues
- Negeri Melaka Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Taman Negara Kinabalu Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Penang Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macao Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Bali Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Petaling Jaya Intro, 5 photos, 3 travelogues