"BANFF NATIONAL PARK" Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park by Lady_Mystique
Banff National Park Travel Guide: 819 reviews and 1,596 photos
In 1885, the Government of Canada set aside an area of 10 square miles around
the Sulphur Mountain Hot Springs near Banff which promised
"to be of great sanitary advantage to the public",
thereby creating the country's first national park.
Since that time, boundaries have been expanded
and six more parks have been established in the mountains of Alberta and British Columbia, until today the mountain parks cover 8,638 square miles.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
whose voice I hear in the winds
and whose breath gives life to all the world,
I come before you, one of your many children.
I am weak and small.
I need your strength and wisdom.
Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes
ever behold the red and purple sunset;
my ears sharp so I may hear your voice.
Make me wise,
so I may learn the things you have taught my people,
the lessons you have hidden under every rock and leaf.
I seek strength, not to be superior to my brothers,
but to be able to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.
Make me ever ready to come to you
with clean hands and straight eyes,
so whenever life fades,
like the fading sunset,
my spirit will come to you without shame."
Chief Yellow Lark, a Blackfoot Indian
I don't remember much of this trip (and I'm sure my parents tried to forget most of it) except that we were taken to the centre of town where there was a large park with lots of flowers. There was an enormous and beautiful stone building on the grounds which I think this was the Motor Vehicles building.
Anyway, after my baby brother and I checked out the flowers and annoyed one another as much as possible, my mother plunked us down onto the stump of an old tree so my father could take a photo of us (probably to prove he had survived another outing with us!)
We weren't very cooperative models. My brother tried to monopolize the tree stump and take centre stage while I became rebellious, insisting on my share of the limelight and becoming a royal pain in the butt in the process!! (Come to think of it, our personalities haven't changed much since!) A big fight ensued soon after the photo was taken and I got a grand lickin'. I see this as my "initiation" and "rite of passage" into the competitive nature and harshness of life in the mountains.
My daughter and I stayed here this summer while enjoying a trip to the mountains (usually a yearly pilgrimage) with just... more travel advice
Located only 15-20 minutes from Banff townsite, Mt. Norquay is the only resort to offer nightskiing in the Alberta... more travel advice
- See All The Blackfoot
- See All Moraine Lake...A Turquoise Jewel!!!
- See All Visiting Bear Habitat
Lady_Mystique's Related Pages
Banff National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "under re construction please come back"
- "The Canadian Rockies"
- "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- "Banff National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banff National Park
- Hotels in Banff National Park
- Transportation in Banff National Park
- Nightlife in Banff National Park
- Restaurants in Banff National Park
- Shopping in Banff National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banff National Park
- 54 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Banff National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Another sad event."
- Wrote a Review In Glacier Nat'l Park Traveling... in Banff National Park Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Blue Pod Lupine"
- updated a Banff National Park Travel Page "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- Commented on one of RACCOON1's Banff National Park travel pages
Photos in Banff National ParkSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 85 reviews, 137 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 66 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 41 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- La Romieu Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Auch Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Bazas Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Larressingle Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos