"CHEMAINUS ....." Top 5 Page for this destination Chemainus by Lady_Mystique
Chemainus Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 63 photos
HOW DID IT GET ITS NAME ???
'Tsa-meeun-is' (Broken Chest) was a legendary shaman and prophet who survived a massive wound in his chest to become a powerful chief. Long ago his people proudly took his name to identify their own tribal group. By the time the first Europeans arrived, the Tsa-meeun-is people had spread from Kulleet Bay to Westholme, and had villages on many of the closer Gulf Islands.
Now his name also designates a river, a valley, a bay, a land district and this town.
WELCOME TO CHEMAINUS !!!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
However, in the early 1980's the townspeople realized that diversification was the way to ensure the future and preserve this quality of life for the residents of this community by the sea.
Thus was born the idea for "The Festival of Murals" which has transformed Chemainus into Canada's largest permanent outdoor gallery.
Forestry being a large part of the history; it is reflected today upon the walls of buildings all over town.
The project has grown to 34 larger-than-life murals at the present time, with more being planned for the future. You can tour the murals by foot, by following the "yellow footprints" painted on the sidewalks, or take a horse-drawn carriage, or steam train (look-alike), for a narrated tour.
This bakery has been operating in Chemainus for 50 years! They offer really good and absolutely DELICIOUS baked... more travel advice
Lady_Mystique's Related Pages
Chemainus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FULL OF SURPRISEs"
- "CHEMAINUS ---WORLD FAMOUS MURALS"
- "CHEMAINUS ....."
- "Chemainus, British Columbia"
- "CHEMAINUS THE LITTLE TOWN THAT DID"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chemainus
- Hotels in Chemainus
- Restaurants in Chemainus
- Shopping in Chemainus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chemainus
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Chemainus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chemainus
Photos in ChemainusSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 85 reviews, 137 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 66 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 41 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- La Romieu Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Auch Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Bazas Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Larressingle Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos