"Always On My Doorstep...." Ladysmith by Lady_Mystique
Ladysmith Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 38 photos
Ladysmith is smack on the 49th paralle, overlooking Ladysmith Harbour on Vancouver Island's east coast.
Ladysmith's town father, James Dunsmuir, was a coal baron in the late 1800's.
When Dunsmuir's resources were dwindling at his Wellington mine near Nanaimo,
he began planning a town to house workers near the new Extension mine to the south.
Homes, churches, and shops were hauled in pieces by rail or house and wagon to the new site;
and the sudden exodus of 5,000 turned Wellington into a ghost town.
As Dunsmuir's town took shape in 1900, the Boer War was much in the news.
He named the community for Ladysmith, South Africa, to honour British troops releieved there after a long seige. Original streets such as Buller, Kitchener, and Baden-Powell were named for the British generals.
New Ladysmith sprang to life, with wide boulevards and streets, telephone lines,
and electricity for all provided by a coal-fired power plant.
Plans called for hotels, even and opera hall; though for many single miners,
the dozen or so saloons provided ample entertainment.
Lady_Mystique's Related Pages
Ladysmith Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ladysmith, British Columbia, CANADA - My Home Town"
- "Always On My Doorstep...."
- "Right on the 49th Parallel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ladysmith
- Hotels in Ladysmith
- Nightlife in Ladysmith
- Restaurants in Ladysmith
- Shopping in Ladysmith
- Warnings and Dangers in Ladysmith
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ladysmith
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Ladysmith?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ladysmith
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 85 reviews, 137 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 66 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 41 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- La Romieu Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Auch Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Bazas Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Larressingle Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos