"ARLES" Top 5 Page for this destination Arles by Lady_Mystique

Arles Travel Guide: 290 reviews and 749 photos

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Arles attracted painters like Vincent Van Gogh, Gaughin, and Picasso. When I finally came here I soon discovered why...the rich colors in everything from the terra-cotta colored rooftops to the brightly colored fabrics and patterns of the Provencal fabrics that were being sold at the weekly market and in tiny boutiques along the ancient streets were a feast for the senses!
The dazzling sun and the sapphire blue skies; the dappled trunks of centuries-old plane trees; the canary-yellow shutters and the cobalt blue doors...these all made an impression on my painter's eye! They enriched and illuminated my imagination!!

_______________________
IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF VAN GOGH
______________________

I am an artist myself; therefore, my main reason for travelling to Arles while in France was to learn more about where my favourite of the artists, Vincent van Gogh, lived and worked. I was fully expecting to see some of his original paintings but I was unprepared and utterly disappointed to learn that Arles doesn't have even one of his works!!

_________
MARKET DAY
_________

One of the events I really enjoyed while in Arles was their weekly outdoor market along the main Boulevard des Lices. We went on a Sunday morning, but I understand it occurs on Wednesdays also.
This had to be the most thrilling shopping experience I had during my 6 week stay in France!!
Here before me was an infinite variety of quality products...tubs and tubs of endless varieties of olives, goat cheeses, meats, spices and the local, fresh fruits and vegetables. Tables laden with the famous Marseilles soaps, French lavender bags, essentail oils and perfumes. I was very tempted to buy some of the antiques...the jewellery pieces, the old laces, and even some furniture!!...but common sense finally prevailed and I had to abandon any thoughts of sending ship containers full of my purchases back to Canada!!
The other treasures I found that I really enjoyed looking at, and asking the creators about, were the paintings and hand-made crafts. I saw a lot of talent displayed there that day!!
All in all...market day in Arles was an amazing experience!!!

• Intro Updated May 3, 2007

• Nov 10, 2008 at 2:08 PM

The Cafe Van Gogh in Arles is nice to take a picture or two, but for all means, don't eat there...carrots's salad from a can? One of the worst food in France and Europe...or even my life, really, really bad.

• Aug 31, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Your tip sounds suspiciously similar to the one in the Rough Guide to France 2007. Helpful anyway. Ta!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Great tips!

• Apr 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Are there scheduled bullfights June 23 - 26? If so, is it necessary to buy tickets in advance? Thanks you, Rick L.

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2007 at 2:35 AM

Hi there. I'm currently reading Irving Stone's book, Lust for life, about Vincent van Gogh. Your pages truly inspire the spirit. I think I know where I'll spend next spring's holiday. Thanks.

• peterpainter's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Lady, After many years since my last visit, I will be returning to Arles in the fall (2007.) Your entries refreshed my memory of this marvelous place and are so thoughtfully done- thanks.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2006 at 11:48 PM

Ohhhh...how utterly devine!! Reminds me of another time...~

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 2:47 AM

Highly interesting tips and travelogues! Great idea to go around and see the places where Van Gogh painted those famous pictures.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 10:15 AM

Wonderful impressions that make me want to go there! Thanks for a fine page!

• Aafia's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 8:29 AM

Wonderful tips. I'm heading to France next week, Arles included. Can't wait to get to the market. Afia

Lady_Mystique

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Badges & Stats in Arles