Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue Things to Do Tips by Lady_Mystique Top 5 Page for this destination
Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue Things to Do: 21 reviews and 34 photos
Riding on one of the beautiful Camargue horses is a GREAT way to see La Camargue...its land, its flora, its fauna and the Mediterranean Ocean!!
Riding in 'La Camargue' is mostly Western-style: long stirrups, long reins kept in one hand only. You don't have to be a perfect Western rider to enjoy this kind of riding as it's easy to learn.
Besides, as one riding stables puts it:
"For those who don't like to ride, we have horses that don't like to be ridden." :>)
Three recommendations of stables to hire a horse...and guide:
Pony Ranch - 06.07.43.10.29
Domaine du Daladel - 04.66.73.52.08
Le Relais Oguste - 06.21.73.69.74
If you love gardening, especially with bulbs, this is a great place to visit!
Lauw is originally from Holland, and came here to start a bulb farm specializing in botanical species of flower bulbs that are indigenous, and adapted, to the Mediterranean climate.
Call first and make an appointment to see this interesting Bulb farm...and guest Mas (where you can stay if you are interested in exploring this area of Provence).
Address: 30300 Fourques
Directions: Close to the Camargue and Arles.
Phone: (33) 466 016 519
Life can be a "BEACH" sometimes...
Bring your swimsuit, towel, sunscreen, sunglasses, beach umbrella, camera, and enjoy a relaxing few hours on the sand watching the waves of the Mediterranean curl along the shoreline.
You could also just walk along the beaches, but this is best done in the evening or early morning, otherwise the walkways are too crowded. At least for me they were!
Directions: The beaches at Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer.
Typical building in Les-Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
The Provençal Legend
Around the year 40 A.D. , a boat was launched from Jerusalem, without sail, oars or supplies, and drifted across the Mediterranen until it drifted ashore at this site. The refugees in the boat were Mary Jacobe, the mother of James and the sister of the Virgin; Mary Salome, the mother of the apostles James Major and John; Lazarus and his two sisters, Mary Magdalene and Martha; St. Maximus; Cedonius, who was born blind and cured, and sarah, the servant of the two Marys.
After landing safely, the group built a small oratory to the Virgin. The disciples wandered off their separate ways. Mary Magdalene went to St. Baume, and Martha went to Tarascon. Mary Salome , Mary Jacobe and Sarah remained in the Camargue, and were later buried in the oratory. The tomb of these three saints became a cult object, and has been the attraction of pilgrimages for the past 19 centuries. They were reburied beneath the chancel during the Barbarian invasions, and then removed and enshrined in 1448 by Good King Rene.
Directions: Where the Rhone delta (Camargue) meets the sea (Mediterranean).
Lady_Mystique's Related Pages
Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "' LA CAMARGUE '"
- "THE UNIQUE WETLANDS OF LA CAMARGUE"
- "The wild Camargue"
- "Camargue - Saintes-Marie-de-la-Mer - Arles"
- "PINK FLAMINGOS IN "LA CAMARGUE""
- "Wild horses, flamencos and rice"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue
- Hotels in Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue
- Restaurants in Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue
- Shopping in Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hamburg Hotels
- Udvada Hotels
- Den Oever
- Red River
- Eagle Nest Hotels
- Beersdal Hotels
- Praia de Odeceixe
Badges & Stats in Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue
Photos in Parc Naturel Régional de CamargueSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 85 reviews, 137 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 66 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 41 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- La Romieu Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Auch Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Bazas Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Larressingle Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos