"CONDOM" Condom by Lady_Mystique
Condom Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 52 photos
Obviously Condom is a must, if only to send postcards home to prove that you've visited the town with that name.
But actually it's at the centre of one of the most interesting parts of the Gers.
Try to catch the bustling Wednesday market, then look at the 15th century Cathedral, the gothic cloisters - the cloisters are particularly attractive - and the "Musee de l'Armagnac".
Maybe have lunch in one of the attractive little cafes, with their tables spilling into the square in front of the cathedral, or,
for a perfect view of the town, have a drink on the balcony of The Condom Cocktail Club.
Condom is an excellent centre, but its satellite villages are even more interesting.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
FOLLOW THE SIGN
Condom...in the heart of the Southwest, with views of the Atlantic and the forests of the Landes to the west, the foothills of the Pyrenees to the south, on the corridor to the Mediterranean to the Southeast, and the valley of the Garonne River to the north, on the road mid-way between Agen and Auch, it is built on the plains of the Baise River.
Condom, because it is surrrounded by the coastal hills and is at only 82 meters, enjoys a micro-climate with an average mild temperature of 13 degrees C. ~ almost identical to Biarritz and Marseilles at 14 degrees C.
Condom's etymology is 'Condatomagus' and means an old Gallic market...which is contrary to what non-French speaking people think when they first see the sign that announces this small village of about 7,500 inhabitants.
The old town, skirted by the Baise River, contains a number of impressive 17th and 18th century mansions as well as the Musee de L'Armagnac (2 rue Jules Ferry), where visitors can learn about the local product which many connoisseurs consider the best of all the brandies.
Located 43 km. north of Auch, this little market town is built around its late-Gothic cathedral of St. Pierre.
<<< When you see this sign, then you'll know you've come to the right place.
Ingredients: 500 G of soft white cheese (0 % of fat content) -1/2 liter of fresh cream - icing sugar (powdered... more travel advice
I was taken to this very special place that is neatly hidden away in the Gascogne region of SW France. Not many people... more travel advice
Lady_Mystique's Related Pages
Condom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Condom: the folds of time"
- "A nice little town in the Southwest of France"
- "Condom....feel free to giggle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Condom
- Hotels in Condom
- Restaurants in Condom
- Shopping in Condom
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Condom
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Condom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Condom
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 85 reviews, 137 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 66 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 41 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- La Romieu Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Auch Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Bazas Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Larressingle Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos