"Hanoi - The Old Quarter" Hanoi by Arjaree

Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,764 reviews and 6,106 photos

We spent time in Hanoi - the Old Quarter for a few days. And after we checked out all the major spots that we should see, then that's it. Done. There was nothing else to do besides wandering around and checking out different restaurants. Once we tried to find a way to kill the time on our last day in Hanoi, we decided to take a taxi to the national theatre. It was way out of the Old Quarter. We went there and found out there were nothing showing until the specific time. And there are only 3 movie theatres showing International movies for the whole city. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Anyway, Hanoi's Old Quarter has its charm. The buildings have their uniqueness - pretty narrow with a few floors, like a tunnel I would say. Many buildings are still painted yellow with green windows. Our guide gave us information on this that the French chose these colors cos they found them as most suitable for the climate. It's also interesting that it's set one street for one certain goods like clothes street, shoes street, bags street, eye glasses shops street, etc...That must be pretty competitive.

It was sort of strange to see lots of people there sitting on a small chair/stool out on the sidewalks doing activities like eating, fanning themselves while people watching. In Thailand, people are out on the sidewalks as well but with higher chairs.

Another great thing about Hanoi is that there is no Starbucks, McDonald's, or 7/11. Probably this is why you can find no overweighed people there. Everyone seems to weigh about the same!

• Last visit to Hanoi: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 4, 2004

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2006 at 1:29 AM

looks like you're a little hard to be satisfied... ;-) i've spent half a year working in hanoi and i enjoyed almost every minute of it.

• BlaTboy's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 3:45 PM

WOW!! NICE ID pic. Hair is getting long. How is work? All my friends headed of to John Tiem Beach to catch lots of rays. Without me lah!!! Oh well I think Europe will be calling me, without them =) Cheers B-out

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2004 at 3:28 AM

Although the show at the Water Puppet Theatre was not as interesting as you might hope, I thought the music was great. You have a very good set of tips here Thanks

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2004 at 3:02 AM

looks lovely...

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2004 at 2:35 AM

Oh dear, they have cyclo cheats in Hanoi too. I got more than my fair share of horror cyclo stories in HCMC alone.

Arjaree

“Mind is like a parachute, it works best when open.”

Badges & Stats in Hanoi