"Hanoi - The Old Quarter" Hanoi by Arjaree
Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,747 reviews and 6,065 photos
We spent time in Hanoi - the Old Quarter for a few days. And after we checked out all the major spots that we should see, then that's it. Done. There was nothing else to do besides wandering around and checking out different restaurants. Once we tried to find a way to kill the time on our last day in Hanoi, we decided to take a taxi to the national theatre. It was way out of the Old Quarter. We went there and found out there were nothing showing until the specific time. And there are only 3 movie theatres showing International movies for the whole city. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Anyway, Hanoi's Old Quarter has its charm. The buildings have their uniqueness - pretty narrow with a few floors, like a tunnel I would say. Many buildings are still painted yellow with green windows. Our guide gave us information on this that the French chose these colors cos they found them as most suitable for the climate. It's also interesting that it's set one street for one certain goods like clothes street, shoes street, bags street, eye glasses shops street, etc...That must be pretty competitive.
It was sort of strange to see lots of people there sitting on a small chair/stool out on the sidewalks doing activities like eating, fanning themselves while people watching. In Thailand, people are out on the sidewalks as well but with higher chairs.
Another great thing about Hanoi is that there is no Starbucks, McDonald's, or 7/11. Probably this is why you can find no overweighed people there. Everyone seems to weigh about the same!
The Temple of Literature (Van Mieu) is a famous ancient monument consisting of the Temple of Literature and Vietnam's... more travel advice
Eventhough I mentioned in the warning section that I got cheated by a tricky cyclo guy, I still encourage you to take a... more travel advice
Arjaree's Related Pages
Hanoi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !"
- "Good morning Hanoi !"
- "Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
- "Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds"
- "MY 1ST STOP IN VIETNAM WAS......................."
- "Ignoring Hanoi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanoi
- Hotels in Hanoi
- Transportation in Hanoi
- Nightlife in Hanoi
- Restaurants in Hanoi
- Shopping in Hanoi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hanoi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanoi
- 11 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Hanoi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanoi
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "RE: RE: Airport BUs to Patong BEach"
- Commented on one of King_Golo's Hanoi travel pages
- Wrote a Review The Temple of Literature about Temple of Literature in Hanoi Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Museum of Ethnology"
- updated a Hanoi Travel Page "Hanoi - The Old Quarter"
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 41 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Chang Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 15 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samet Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ha Long Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lao Cai Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos