"BUTARE" Prefecture de Butare by nsbm
Prefecture de Butare Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 41 photos
A definite air of academia pervades this enclave of learned Rwandans. All around town visiting professors with laptops and local estudiantes dot the gravel pavements. Easy to navigate on foot and pleasant to discover with its art-deco weathered main street!
The town of Nyanza has a great market enclosed by a fortress like wall. This is surrounded by the bustle of colourfully painted one-story establishments with coal-heated ironing tailors; foot operated ‘singer’ seamstresses; young taxi-tout townies and local farmers and sellers with produce. Truly the life of Africa teems in its characteristic townships. The need to trade and socialise reverberates throughout human history no matter where people are….take time to walk around and indulge in the local drama!
just north of Butare and easily accessible by taxi nyanza is home to the bygone Royal Heritage of Rwanda ..see things to do
30km west of Butare is the town of Gikongoro. Located on a flat hillock, with a 360 panorama, on the outskirts of town is this new genocide memorial. The location was the missionary school where thousands of Tutsis fled for sanctuary but their faith and fate were betrayed by the holy men who sheltered them, leading to mass extinction of many…60 000and counting!
The museum at the front contains history as well as film material of the Troubles…but the real reason to visit are the well presented ‘real-life’ portrayals in the classrooms at the back. Very sombre and the ‘scent’ of death and damnation lingers. Very emotionally charged….be prepared. Visit to empathise and sympathise with Rwandans- they are glad for the outside world to know what happened. Visit to assist the local community in their endeavours; and even if you don’t make it to the macabre exhibits just being there the locals appreciate your concern to venture this far. Worth the detour. Easily accessible by taxi from Butare U$10 return.
See Things to do
- Pros:enclave of history, culture and academia
- In a nutshell:dont miss it!
great location ; good choice...however the terrace is looked onto from the street where occasionally a starving limb... more travel advice
nsbm's Related Pages
Prefecture de Butare Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Prefecture de Butare
- Hotels in Prefecture de Butare
- Transportation in Prefecture de Butare
- Restaurants in Prefecture de Butare
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture de Butare
- 10 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Prefecture de Butare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture de Butare
Photos in Prefecture de ButareSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Grenada Intro, 37 reviews, 59 photos
- Port-of-Spain Intro, 21 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rwanda Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 15 reviews, 32 photos
- Prefecture de Butare Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos
- Chaguanas Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Addis Ababa Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kigali Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos